Position Title: Criminalist/Firearms Examiner
Annual Minimum Salary: (DOQ)
Pay Grade: 16
Announcement Type: External
Facility: Crime Lab
City/State: Valdosta, Georgia
Deadline: OPEN UNTIL FILLED
The Valdosta-Lowndes Regional Crime Laboratory is accepting applications for a highly motivated individual for a Criminalist/Firearms Examiner position. This position is responsible for performing independent scientific examinations and comparisons of firearms, tool marks and serial number restorations.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Perform comparative analysis on evidence such as bullets, cartridge casings, and tool marks.
- Perform serial number restorations.
- Take photographs.
- Enter evidence into Integrated Ballistic Identification Systems (IBIS).
- Perform correlation review of images acquired by partnering sites to determine the possible presence of a NIBIN lead.
- Care for and maintain laboratory equipment.
- Perform technical and administrative reviews of another examiner’s casework.
- Interact and collaborate with other group/team members and other forensic staff to ensure a high quality and accurate product.
- Prepare evidence for presentation at court and appear as an expert witness to testify on the results of laboratory examinations.
- Comply with relevant policies and procedures.
- Participate in public relations activities such as conducting tours of the laboratory and speaking to interested groups.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
- A bachelors or advanced degree in criminal justice, physical, natural or forensic science from an accredited college or university.
- Successful completion of a documented Firearm and/or Tool Mark Examiner training program
- Be able to pass a competency test.
- Ability to prepare technical reports.
- At least three to five (3-5) years independent firearms casework experience in an accredited forensic/crime laboratory preferred.
- Must satisfactorily complete a background check and post offer physical.
- A valid driver’s license.
- Satisfactorily complete a background check, drug test and pre-employment physical.
All online applications must
be processed through www.valdostacity.com
. To be fully considered, applicants must submit a completed City of Valdosta Application Form to Berna Hepburn at firstname.lastname@example.org
, or apply at the City of Valdosta Human Resources Department, 216 East Central Avenue, Valdosta, GA 31601.