Position Title: Heavy Equipment Operator
Annual Minimum Salary: $30,300.03
Announcement Type: Internal/External
Department: Public Works
Division: Right-of-Way Maintenance
Facility: Public Works Building
City/State: Valdosta, Georgia
Pay Grade: 12
Closing Date: OPEN UNTIL FILLED
The City of Valdosta Public Works Department is accepting applications for the position of full time Heavy Equipment Operator. This position operates heavy equipment in the repair and maintenance of rights-of-way and other property and in the collection and transport of refuse. Operates a street sweeper to clean city streets. Operates a backhoe, front-end loader, and other heavy equipment. Operates and tractor and bush hog. Operates a dump truck and trailer. Operates a knuckle-boom truck to collect debris and other items along a pre-determined route. Maintains radio contact with dispatchers to send and receive information. Maintains assigned vehicles and equipment; performs pre- and post-trip vehicle inspections. Assists in traffic control at work sites.
- Knowledge of the techniques, equipment, and supplies used in street and right-of-way maintenance, city and departmental safety policies and procedures, geography of the city, including street names and locations.
- Skill in the operation of assigned vehicles, trucks and heavy equipment, prioritizing and organizing work, in the use of hand and power tools, oral and written communication.
- At least one (1) to two (2) years experience in a related field
- Possession of or ability to readily obtain a valid driver’s license issued by the State of Georgia for the type of vehicle or equipment operated.
- Valid Georgia CDL Class “B” Required.
- High school diploma or GED
- Must satisfactorily complete a background check, drug test and pre-employment physical
All online applications must
be processed through www.valdostacity.com
. To be fully considered, applicants must submit a completed City of Valdosta Application Form to Berna Hepburn
, or apply at the City of Valdosta Human Resources Department, 216 East Central Avenue, Valdosta, GA 31601.