The Communications Officer is responsible for receiving emergency and administrative calls from the public and dispatching the appropriate emergency personnel.
- Receives, monitors, and dispatches radio communications traffic for Police, EMS, Fire, and Sheriff’s departments throughout the county, including all 911 calls.
- Receives and screens incoming telephone calls from the public and other public safety agencies; categorizes and prioritizes calls during emergency situations.
- Dispatches the appropriate emergency personnel to incident locations; provides emergency medical instructions to callers prior to the arrival of emergency personnel as appropriate.
- Maintains a continuous log of incoming telephone and radio calls; logs incoming calls for participating agencies.
- Monitors and routes incoming messages from national and state computer networks; enters and removes information as requested to the Georgia Crime Information Center (GCIC) network and the departmental computer system.
- Maintains responders’ locations and statuses at all times to ensure safety.
- Monitors DTN computer and provides information as requested; dispatches severe weather plan as required.
- Maintains wrecker lists for multiple agencies to ensure wrecker policies and protocols are met.
- Participates in training exercises.
- Assists with training of new personnel.
- Performs Georgia Crime Information Center (GCIC) entries for various law enforcement agencies.
- Performs daily housekeeping duties at the dispatch center.
- Performs Emergency Medical Dispatch as needed.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Ability to read, write and perform mathematical calculations at a level commonly associated with the completion of high school or equivalent.
- Ability to hear and understand sound sources coming through a communications headset and/or radio and/or standard telephone receiver. Have the ability to hear and understand other outside sound sources while wearing a communications headset (i.e., the ability to hear sound sources not coming through the headset, ability to hear out of both ears.
- Sufficient experience to understand the basic principles relevant to the major duties of the position usually associated with the completion of an apprenticeship/internship or having had a similar position for one year.
- Possession of or ability to readily obtain GCIC/NCIC certification.
- Possession of or ability to readily obtain CPR and EMD certification.
The successful candidate must pass a Background/Reference Check, and Pre-Employment Drug Screenings prior to the start of employment.
Habersham County is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
: All applicants must complete the Habersham County Communications Officer Employment Application which can which can be downloaded from our website www.habershamga.com
and emailed to email@example.com
. You may also submit your application along with supporting documents to the Human Resources Department, Administration Building (Located on the 1st
floor in the Old Courthouse), 555 Monroe Street, Clarkesville, GA 30523. For more information please call (706) 839-0214.