Performs complex equipment failure repairs and diagnoses all types of mechanical, electrical and hydraulic problems associated with maintenance and repair of all types of automotive vehicles and heavy truck and equipment. Provides maintenance support for other departments. Duties vary within assigned section.
- Inspects, diagnoses, services, repairs and performs scheduled maintenance on gas and diesel-powered heavy trucks, road maintenance equipment, and other related equipment. *
- Performs complex diagnoses of vehicles using computer systems or manuals. *
- Repairs or rebuilds engines, transmissions, brake systems, electrical systems, air conditioning, fuel systems, computer systems, emissions systems, front or rear ends and components, and performs wheel alignments. Performs other vehicular mechanical repairs as necessary. *
- Fabricates and maintains emergency vehicle equipment.
- Completes service records for work performed, including documenting labor and parts used.
- Initiates purchase orders and issues parts, supplies, tools, and equipment as necessary. *
- Responds to emergency road assistance calls for disabled County vehicles and equipment. *
- Makes recommendations for the repair, modification, and disposal of equipment, tools, and vehicles. *
- Uses a wide variety of test equipment such as dynamometers, oscilloscopes, and exhaust analyzers.
- Maintains and repairs equipment related to fuel delivery and sites to ensure a clean and safe environment. *
- Refers service support to other department's facilities as necessary, and coordinates the prioritization and completion of service of other department’s equipment.
* Indicates an "essential" job function.
High school diploma or GED with additional vocational training or certification in automotive repair or a related field; three years of automotive repair experience including one year at the journeyman level in the repair and maintenance of gas and diesel powered heavy trucks, road maintenance equipment, and other related equipment. Must possess a valid Georgia driver’s license. Must obtain commercial driver’s license (CDL) within six (6) months of starting employment in this classification. A combination of training and experience above the minimum requirements will be considered.