Salary Range: $36,500 - $45,600
Posting Expiration Date: August 15, 2018
General Description and Classification Standards
This position provides direct technical support to a Pollution Control Monitor, Senior & Pollution Control Supervisor in the installation, maintenance & repair of monitoring equipment as directed that is used for: Monitoring the sewer collection system, billing surrounding municipalities that utilize City of Atlanta wastewater services, rainfall monitoring and surface water monitoring activities and capacity certification to insure compliance with City, State, and Federal Water Pollution Control Regulations, the First Amended Consent Decree & Contractual wholesale wastewater obligations.
This position is charged with monitoring equipment installations, maintenance and repairs for the Department of Watershed Management within the Flow Monitoring Division. Areas of responsibility are typically unique within the department.
Direction received is general in nature and focuses more on long-term and short-term operating objectives, daily deliverables and individual performance metrics laid out at time of employment; position provides direct field support to a Pollution Control Monitor Supervisor & Watershed Manager.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities These are typical responsibilities for this position and should not be construed as exclusive or all inclusive. May perform other duties as assigned.
Install, maintain, calibrate and repair sewer flow monitoring equipment in sewer manholes, surface water monitoring stations, remote camera stations and rain gauges for use in hydraulic modeling studies, wholesale wastewater billing and SSO mitigation efforts.
Ensures safety procedures are followed and any monitoring station errors or problems corrected in a timely manner. Conducts technical repairs and installations on monitoring equipment which may include confined space entry in sewer manholes, combined sewer areas and active roadways.
Position has technical advisory capacity over less senior entry level employees within the group conducting similar tasks and functions.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities This is a partial listing of necessary knowledge, skills, and abilities required to perform the job successfully. It is not an exhaustive list.
- General knowledge of: Electronics, general tools and their respective uses, process control or
- Pass confined space entry certification after receiving classroom training
- Have a basic understanding of maintenance and/or construction activities
- Comprehend standard workplace safety practices and procedures
- The ability to comprehend all applicable laws, standards, OSHA and NIOSH safety regulations
- The ability to effectively communicate with supervisors, technical leads, managers, city staff including Division Chiefs, Bureau Directors, Legal Staff, and Commissioner and members of the general public
- Assemble information and make written reports and documents in a concise, clear, and effective manner, have good organizational and technical skills. Must be able to read, understand, and interpret technical reports, technical manuals and related material
Minimum Qualifications – Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Environmental, Biological Sciences or Geophysical Science, OR equivalent combination of experience which will be considered under prescribed guidelines &
- 1 year of experience in maintenance, electronic or construction related activities.
Preferred Education & Experience
Sewer flow monitoring experience, computer repair experience, process control, mechanical/maintenance experience, engineering OR any equivalent combination of education, training and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities for this job.
Licensures and Certifications
- Applicants must possess a valid Georgia Driver’s License at the time of appointment. License must remain valid while in this classification.
- Applicants must be able to pass both state and federal background checks
Essential Capabilities and Work Environment
Required physical, lifting, and sensory capabilities are requirements to perform the job successfully. Typical environmental conditions associated with job.
City of Atlanta is an equal opportunity employer.