Under the direction of the Director, the purpose of this position is to direct the park maintenance and turf management function of the City Parks and Recreation Department. Position is responsible for overseeing the work activities of the Maintenance Coordinator, Crew Leaders, and Work Crews; preparing division budget; preparing specifications for departmental equipment, vehicles, special events, and construction; and ensuring that all work and behavior is performed in accordance with all City personnel policies and procedures.
Essential Job Duties
Minimum Requirements of Position
- Using industry best practices, develop systems and protocols to ensure all parks and facilities are being properly maintained and are safe for all patrons.
- Develop and implement a comprehensive turf management program for all sports fields as well as serve as liaison to and inspect the work of the landscaping contractor as it pertains to park areas.
- Supervises, directs, and evaluates assigned staff, processing employee concerns and problems, directing work, counseling, recommending and implementing disciplinary action, and completing employee performance appraisals; interviews applicants for positions.
- Prepares division budget; handles Community Development Block Grants; prepares workers’ compensation/accident reports.
- Prepares specifications for buildings, vehicles, equipment, and special events.
- Handles division’s training and reports; oversees machinery and equipment.
- Performs in-house construction on buildings; oversees contracted labor projects; handles City property damage; sets scope of work to be done; oversees and inspects all work.
- Serves on call twenty-four hours a day.
- Serve as liaison to Youth Sports Associations as it pertains to park maintenance and turf management
- Assist the Aquatics and Athletics Coordinator in monitoring and maintaining City pool.
- Ensures that all facilities meets fire, health, and City guidelines and codes.
- Maintains knowledge of City ordinances and building codes; maintains knowledge of proper use of herbicides and pesticides.
- Attends meetings and conferences.
- Must possess degree from an accredited college or university in the field of Parks and Recreation Management or Turf Management; supplemented three(3) to five (5) years of progressive management experience in parks maintenance and/or turf management that includes the repair, upkeep, development, construction, and maintenance of a variety of parks, turf fields and related facilities..
- Must possess and maintain a valid Georgia driver’s license.
Salary Range: $50,932 - $76,398
Submit applications online at www.smyrnacity.com