Under the supervision of the Community Relations Director, the incumbent in this position assists with the planning and coordination with citywide special events and to provide administrative support for the Community Relations Department.
Essential Job Duties
Minimum Requirements of Position
- Assists in planning, organizing, and/or coordination of special events/activities: researches and secures vendors and service providers (e.g. sound systems, concessions, equipment rental, entertainment, etc.) for each event; assists with and provides direction to city personnel, volunteers, and other event staff during event setup, take-down, and clean-up; and provides support to city personnel during the event.
- Serves as a liaison between the City and event sponsors and vendors: procures new sponsors and/or vendors for City events.
- Assists with the development, research, writing, editing, layout, and production of various reports and communications materials, including articles, reports, brochures, press releases, newsletters, and other publications: updates and maintains content to the City’s website(s), information channels, or other media; writes/edits copy; develops text and content for social media; works with personnel in city departments for story, content, and press release ideas; takes photos and coordinates utilization of photographs to accompany news articles, press releases, internal releases, newsletters, or other publications; designs simple graphics to accompany print and electronic material.
- Assists with the coordination of media relations activities and provides information to the public regarding City government as directed.
- Communicates with other departments, the public and other individuals as needed to coordinate work activities, review status of work, exchange information or resolve problems; responds to requests for service or assistance.
- Performs clerical and administrative tasks in support of departmental operations: copies, files, types, and processes various forms and documentation.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Public Relations, Business Administration, Public Administration or related area preferred with three to five years of administrative experience working for event planning, public relations, or marketing; or any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities for this job.
- Must possess a current, valid Georgia Driver’s License.
- Must possess and be able to demonstrate strong critical thinking, computer and customer relations skills.
- Must be able to successfully pass criminal background and a credit check.
Salary Range: $38,494 - $48,117
Applications may be submitted online at: www.smyrnacity.com