The City of Brookhaven, located in metro Atlanta, is seeking highly qualified applicants for Police Officer in the Police Department. The successful candidate must possess knowledge of law enforcement concepts and terminology, including criminal investigation, law enforcement and crime prevention; first-aid principles and techniques; report preparation and record keeping; and human behavior theories related to criminology, crisis intervention and crowd control.
Job Summary: This position is responsible for maintaining law and order and protecting property in the City. The incumbent may be assigned to a specialty area within the department based on needs.
- Receives and responds to dispatched calls; investigates crime by gathering information from suspects, victims and witnesses; takes appropriate action;
- Obtains arrest warrants as necessary;
- Maintains and operates all assigned equipment;
- Conducts security checks of businesses, parks, public buildings, and residences;
- Issues citations and/or makes arrest for violations of laws including traffic violations and local ordinances;
- Arrests and transports criminals;
- Prepares incident and accident reports;
- Attends court and testifies about cases investigated or reports written;
- Assists with crowd control and security assignments at public gathering or incident scenes;
- Provides assistance to the public as needed; provides information and guidance regarding victims’ rights; assess victims; renders aid to injured prior to EMS arrival;
- Attends and participates in daily roll call including inspection and training prior to going on duty;
- Participates in training programs to improve knowledge and skills; may serve as Field Training Officer.
- Conducts inquiries on state and national crime information networks for outstanding warrants, license status, vehicle registrations, administrative messages, etc.
- Reports hazards on roadways within City limits;
- Protects the property and civil rights of persons placed in custody;
- Collects and preserves evidence from crime scenes including fingerprinting, collecting blood samples, photographing crime scenes, etc;
- Transport City revenue from City Hall to designated financial institutions;
- Participates in community-oriented policing programs such as the Citizens Police Academy, C.O.P.S, and related activities; meets with neighborhood residents; gives presentations and responds to questions and concerns; educates citizens on how to protect themselves from criminal activity;
- Serves as first-responder to provide assistance to victims of traffic accidents and other calamities; assists fire and emergency medical personnel in treating and transporting victims;
- May serve as court bailiff;
- Provides security for special events;
- Performs other duties as assigned.
High school diploma or equivalent; Associate’s degree preferred; US citizen; at least 21 years of age; successful completion of the pre-employment process which includes oral interview, background check, criminal records and traffic history check, medical and drug screening, polygraph evaluation, and/or voice stress, valid State of Georgia Driver’s License; equivalent combination of education and experience.
The City of Brookhaven is an equal opportunity employer.