The City of Brookhaven, located in metro Atlanta, is seeking highly qualified applicants for a Development Services Manager. This is a supervisory position within the Community Development Department.
Under the general direction of the Director of Community Development, this is a professional supervisory position to oversee the administrative support duties of the land development department and the building/construction permitting department. Additional duties include the effective management of customer expectations and resolution of complaints or service inquiries related to permitting requests. Ensures a high level of efficient customer service is provided to the public and business community; be primarily responsible for the supervision, coaching, development, training and evaluation of all support team members. Work includes handling escalated customer service/permitting issues. Objective is to ensure accurate and efficient assistance is provided to the general public and business community. Responsibilities include forecasting, budgeting and implementation of new initiatives and programs for the department. This position also maintains a key role and serves as a liaison with public works department with regard to storm water management. He/she reviews land disturbance and tree conservation plans, regulations and standards for all levels of municipal, county, state and federal requirements.
Essential Job Functions:
• Directs the team leader, team trainer and project coordinator team ensuring accountability and compliance with policies and procedures; goals and objectives of the permitting staff.
• Serves as the technical resource person for activities and operations involving building and engineering permitting.
• Performs administrative tasks, supervision, training, disciplinary actions, and evaluation of department employees; coordinates and monitors all customer service/permitting functions to ensure the accomplishment of departmental schedules, goals and objectives. Ensures cross-training of permit staff.
• Supervises administrative duties, as dictated by the nature of the task, e.g., data entry, records keeping, filing, basic calculations, typing.
• Coordinates the activities of staff, ensuring efficient office operations; oversees the daily operations of staff, delegate’s authority and responsibilities to staff ensuring accountability.
• Conducts staff meetings to ensure staff are informed and are given the opportunity to exchange ideas, discussing operational problems and solutions.
• Recommends hiring, promotion, discipline, and termination of staff.
• Performs functions related to forecasting, budgeting, and creating new initiatives, and ensures proper implementation of same; performs research and preparation of work programs relating to the department.
• Analyzes department trends, service levels and resources by tracking department activities and generating management reports.
• Assists the Director by monitoring operational expenses, trending revenue/income sources and developing departmental budgets.
• Serves as lead facilitator for the department’s continuous improvement initiatives, customer feedback processes, business plan and other performance measures.
• Creates management presentations and represents the City at public meetings and/or customer workshops.
• Ensures departmental compliance and verify accuracy of documents, forms and applications required for permitting.
• Answers escalated inquiries and requests from the general public and business community, through friendly, professional customer service skills, ascertaining the needs of the customer and providing appropriate assistance and information.
• Verifies accuracy of departmental information and filing systems, i.e., documents and files various licenses, titles and registrations; organizes and maintains file systems; records all currency transactions.
• Ensures the proper documentation of commercial and private inspections and notifies appropriate work units, e.g., structural, electrical, mechanical, plumbing building/development.
• Creates, implements, and reviews various monthly and annual summary reports, e.g., permit records, inspections, fee collections, certificate of occupancy, certificate of completion, plan reviews.
• Provides leadership through effective objectives setting, delegation and communication.
• Develops and implements business plan initiatives for the department.
• Performs other related duties as required or assigned.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Environmental studies, Geology, Business or related field from an accredited college or university;
• Five (5) years of experience within a progressively responsible customer service environment in Building/construction permitting. Must include supervisory experience;
• Certification by State Soil and Water Conservation Commission as a level 1B Erosion Control Inspector;
• Certification by State Soil and Water Conservation Commission as a level II Certified Plan Reviewer
• ISA Certified Arborist, desirable;
• Or equivalent education, and/or experience.
The City of Brookhaven is an equal opportunity employer.