CITY OF CLARKSTON
JOB TITLE: PUBLIC WORKS LABORER
GENERAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- To support the vision, mission and guiding principles of the City of Clarkston.
- While performing any procedure, all employees and contract personnel must observe applicable Safety, Health, and Environmental rules and guidelines. The use of appropriate personal protective equipment is required.
- Attend and participate in training opportunities and seminars relevant to this position.
- Adhere to appropriate company operating procedures, benefit rules, employment, and safety policies/practices.
- Operates and maintains assigned equipment in the maintenance of City facility grounds, streets, power tools and power landscaping equipment;
- Cuts grass, weed eater operation mulching beds, trimming bushes, tree limbs, edging, around public buildings and right-of-ways;
- Removes trash and other debris in the right-of-way and on City property; collects and disposes of debris, trash and other disposable material caused by job;
- Performs daily inspection on maintenance vehicles and equipment used on the job;
Knowledge Required by the Position:
- Performs light janitorial duties in City facilities, including vacuuming and dusting.
- Performs other related duties as assigned
- Knowledge of the methods, materials, tools, and equipment used in maintenance and repair;
- Knowledge of hazards and safety precautions associated with operation of equipment;
- Knowledge of the occupational hazards and safety standards and practices applicable to work being conducted;
- Knowledge of City and departmental policies and procedures; knowledge of State Motor Vehicles Laws;
- Skill in proper operation and basic repair of machinery used in the maintenance of streets, grounds and buildings;
- Skill in operating a variety of hand and power tools;
- Ability to follow established safety rules, departmental policies and procedures;
- Ability to recognize hazardous materials and situations and respond according to training and City policies and procedures;
- Ability to operate equipment and perform duties under a variety of weather conditions;
- Ability to work evenings, nights, weekends and holidays as required;
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with city employees and the general public.
This work is performed under the general supervision of the Public Works Director.
Guidelines include city and departmental policies, procedures, applicable ordinances and supervisory instructions. These guidelines are clear and specific, but may require some interpretation in application.
The work consists of manual labor and technical duties involving the proper use of a variety of equipment.
Scope and Effect:
This position is responsible for the maintenance of streets, parks, grounds and buildings throughout the City, ensuring a clean and safe environment for all customers and citizens.
: Contacts are typically with co-workers, and the general public.
Purpose of Contacts:
Contacts are typically to give and exchange information, resolve conflicts and provide services.
This is a labor intensive position, which can require walking, sitting, lifting above 100 lbs, carrying and pulling objects, kneeling, crouching, crawling, reaching, handling objects, speaking, hearing, and seeing.
This work is typically performed outdoors, near moving mechanical parts, in the presence of toxic or caustic chemicals, under adverse weather conditions, and with the potential risk of electric shock. Work is typically performed in the presence of loud and very loud noise.
Supervisory and Management Responsibility:
High School diploma or equivalent; must possess and maintain valid Georgia driver’s license; equivalent combination of education and experience.
Applications are being accepted at the Clarkston City Hall Annex, 1055 Rowland St, Clarkston, GA 30021. A cover letter, resumes and a General Employment application may be sent to the City Clerk's Office, City of Clarkston, 1055 Rowland Street, Clarkston, GA 30021, or emailed to email@example.com. The General Employment Application may be picked up at the City Hall Annex or a printable copy of the employment application is available at www.cityofclarkston.com
under the links page.
Salary based on experience. This is a full time position and eligible for benefits.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.