Under general direction of the Recreation Supervisor II, plans, organizes, coordinates, and schedules assigned recreation activities and events at City Recreation & Parks Department facilities, which meet the leisure needs and interests of the citizens of Alpharetta and other participants. Develops, markets and oversees assigned activities and events for children, youth, adults, seniors, and other special populations as well as those from various economic and cultural backgrounds. Responsibilities include training and supervising assigned volunteers, and part time and seasonal staff.
Overview of Duties, Responsibilities and Position Requirements
- Recruits, supervises, directs, trains, and evaluates assigned staff, contracted vendors, and volunteers in performing services for the department. Maintains, reviews, and submits time sheets. Coordinates training programs and maintains training schedules. Reviews and recommends updates to staff manuals.
- Assists supervisor in processing and addressing employee concerns, recommending disciplinary actions, and completing employee performance appraisals. Works with assigned employees to correct deficiencies.
Any combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential functions of the job qualifies.
- Coordinates daily work activities; organizes and prioritizes work; monitors status of work in progress and evaluates completed work; leads subordinates to accomplish the department’s mission and goals by adhering to established policies, procedures and guidelines and setting a positive example. Ensures adherence to established safety/risk management procedures and ADA guidelines.
- Plans, coordinates, and schedules assigned activities and events; monitors enrollment and vendor contracts; recommends term/conditions for instructor contract negotiation; prepares vendor pay requests/reports; develops informational and operational handbooks as needed for parents, volunteers,
staff, vendors and participants; conducts organizational meetings pertaining to activities.
- Develops procedural outlines for program management. Works with program instructors to establish and review program goals and objectives, and analyze outcomes.
- Enters registration data in software program and monitors activities in registration system; conducts customer registration for various department programs; maintains records and files of assigned activities, including revenue, expenditures, evaluation forms, program summaries, and participation data; analyzes evaluation forms and participation trends and communicates these to supervisor; makes recommendations for program changes.
- Performs marketing of activities and events to the public including preparing flyers, posters and mailings; sends emails; prepares/submits press releases to supervisor for distribution to local media; submits information for department e-newsletter and status updates for social media to supervisor; promotes community awareness, interest, and participation in activities and events to individuals, groups, organizations, and businesses.
- Takes photographs of activities and events for inclusion in department marketing materials; prepares information for department leisure guide.
- Assists supervisor in recommending policies, developing program and facility maintenance standards, and ensuring adherence to established guidelines; monitors inventory of equipment and supplies; makes recommendations to supervisor for purchase of major activity/event equipment and supplies. Purchases basic equipment and supplies for activity/event.
- Assists supervisor in maintaining assigned accreditation files; assists in creation of forms, spreadsheets, and manuals pertaining to accreditation.
- Assists supervisor in systematic evaluation processes by compiling and analyzing data pertaining to program and service statistics, performance measures, trends, participant evaluations, level of service standards, community inventories, and needs assessment.
- Handles questions from the public regarding department activities and events; receives and addresses complaints/comments in person, via email, or via telephone.
- Assists supervisor with grant applications and administration.
- Coordinates facility reservations and processes facility rentals by groups, organizations, and businesses as assigned.
- Provides information for weekly, monthly, quarterly, and annual reports as determined by supervisor; prepares various reports and memoranda as required including invoices, timesheets, accident reports, interoffice memos, etc.
- Assists supervisor with budget development for assigned division; prepares and submits bid requests and paperwork for purchase order.
- Utilizes electronic work order system for service requests and work orders. Communicates with Parks Services Division for assistance with facility repairs and set-up.
- Seeks funding through sponsorships, grants, and patrons; maintains records of donations and grants as required.
- Represents the City at administrative meetings, conferences, professional organizations, etc.; interfaces with elected and appointed City officials as required.
- Facilitates communication and collaboration between department and community groups, youth associations, schools, civil organizations, etc.
- Works with other City departments and other agencies to facilitate various activities and events.
- Maintains a comprehensive, current knowledge of applicable laws, regulations, standards, and rules; maintains an awareness of new trends and advances in the profession; reads professional literature.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in recreation administration, physical education, leisure services or a related field.
- Two years previous experience performing general administrative and program coordination work in similar types of programs or technical area to which assigned.
- Possession of, or ability to obtain, and maintenance of Certified Park and Recreation Professional (CPRP) certification preferred
- Must be willing to work varying hours, including evenings, weekends and/or holidays assigned.
- Possession of a valid Georgia Class C driver’s license.
Please submit: (1) a cover letter of interest, (2) resume, and (3) the employment application (https://www.alpharetta.ga.us
All documents may be submitted electronically by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
or fax to 678-297-6041. If you are mailing your submission, send all documents to Kathy Bott, Human Resources Manager, City of Alpharetta, 2 Park Plaza, Alpharetta, GA 30009. Completed application packages will be received until Friday, August 17 at 4:00 p.m.