This is a senior level position in the Human Resources department that reports directly to the Director of Human Resources. The position is responsible for managing the city/BLW’s employee benefits programs including: health/dental/vision, life insurance, disability insurance, and miscellaneous employee purchased insurance programs, 3 pension plans and two deferred compensation programs, and all other benefits programs for the city/BLW.
Manages the day-to-day delivery of all benefit programs for the city/BLW which includes the following activities:
• Evaluates the city/BLW benefits program including costs, coverage options and eligibility requirements.
• Conducts comparative benefits surveys and recommends changes to program to provide a competitive benefits program within budget constraints.
• Collects, assembles, develops and recommends annual budget for all city/BLW benefit programs as well as all state and federal reports.
• Monitors all benefit programs to assure compliance with federal and state laws and to assure that the terms and conditions of contractual agreements with vendors are met.
• Manages and coordinates the bid and selection process of new benefit proposals and changes to existing programs including the development of bid specifications and analysis of proposals.
• Plans and directs the implementation and administration of benefit programs and acts as liaison between employees and benefit vendors.
• Tracks benefit expenditures to maintain costs within approved budget to include compiling periodic reports and statistics related to projected claims costs, eligibility, participation and cost sharing amounts.
• Coordinates the annual benefits enrollment, which includes preparing communication materials, scheduling vendor participation and distribution to employees. Reviews open enrollment changes for completeness and accuracy and arranges for the appropriate payroll deductions.
• Interprets and explains to employees and retirees the eligibility requirements, covered benefits, and claims process for all city/BLW insurance programs.
• Administers the city’s life insurance program to include employee premium calculations/costs and deductions, changes in beneficiaries, and ensures payment to providers.
• Ensures compliance with all legal requirements of various employee benefit programs and prepares and files required legal reports.
• Processes annual pension valuation calculations in a timely manner; coordinates with actuarial firm to ensure the pension valuation is conducted properly as well as to ensure correct calculation of pensions;
• Prepares final cost spreadsheet reports for retirees and beneficiaries to the pension board and independent auditors as needed.
• Serves as the Human Resources representative for the pension calculation committee.
• Makes presentations to employee groups as well as on an individual basis to educate them on various employee benefits programs.
• Ensures the disbursement of benefits to employees, retirees, and dependents in a timely manner.
• Acts as a liaison between the city and the on-site clinic.
• Acts as a liaison between the city and the benefits broker/consultant.
• Conducts exit interviews for retirees and assists with calculation of pension salary benefits. Assists current employees in estimating pension benefits as requested.
• Serves as the privacy officer for health records and ensures the privacy of all protected information (PHI) as defined under current HIPAA regulations. Provides development and guidance in the identification, implementation, and maintenance PHI for city/BLW.
• Keeps updated with of new trends and developments in the benefits field through readings and attendance at meetings and seminars.
• Maintains benefits information on internal and public websites.