The City of Clarkston is located in central-west DeKalb County, near regional destinations such as Stone Mountain and is a fifteen minute drive from the City of Atlanta. Clarkston has remained a small town throughout the years. The City recently moved to a city-manager form of government and seeks an experienced and self-motivated code compliance professional to develop and manage all aspects of the city’s code compliance function. The position offers the successful candidate an opportunity to develop systems and procedures to achieve a high level of proficiency within the assigned area of responsibility. There also exists an opportunity to gain experience across other discipline areas and pursue a strategic growth plan under the direction of the Planning & Development Manager.
GENERAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- To support the vision, mission and guiding principles of the City of Clarkston.
- While performing any procedure, all employees and contract personnel must observe applicable Safety, Health, and Environmental rules and guidelines. The use of appropriate personal protective equipment is required.
- Attend and participate in training opportunities and seminars relevant to this position.
- Adhere to appropriate company operating procedures, benefit rules, employment, and safety policies/practices.
This position is responsible for enforcement of City Ordinances and Code compliance, responding to the needs of the general public by performing inspections of home and business properties for code compliance; working to achieve the highest level of cooperation and to enhance the effectiveness and efficiency of code enforcement within the City of Clarkston.
Knowledge Required by the Position:
- Investigates complaints of violation of City code, appropriate zoning ordinances, sign regulation and related laws, ordinances or codes; issues courtesy notices, notices of violation, citations, correction notices and stops work orders to ensure compliance; conducts follow-up investigations to ensure compliance with applicable codes and ordinances;
- Patrols and monitors assigned area including demolition, new construction, renovation, housing violations and basic building and mechanical inspections;
- Seeks compliance with City ordinances from citizens and businesses; acts as liaison between the complainants, alleged violators and the City;
- Meets with owners, tenants, contractors, developers, businesses, etc. to review and explain code requirements, violations and/or potential violations; secures code compliance.
- Prepares written reports of inspections as specified by department procedures; issues warnings and citations when violations are proven;
- Maintains files and records related to citations and violations; prepares a variety of written reports, memoranda and correspondence;
- Answers, inquiries and provides information to the general public regarding existing code regulations and policies;
- Presents evidence and testimony in courts of law; assists in prosecuting felony and misdemeanor cases.
- Completes all required reports and forms.
- Inspects and maintains an assigned code enforcement vehicle and uniform. Maintains assigned uniform, vehicles, and equipment in accordance with departmental policy and procedures;
- Attends ongoing training classes as required.
- Participates in community relations projects as required.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of relevant federal and state laws, city ordinances, and departmental policies and procedures.
- Knowledge property maintenance ordinance.
- Knowledge of the geography and streets of the city.
- Knowledge of the court system and judicial procedures.
- Skill in operating city code vehicle.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
: The Planning and Development Director assigns work in terms of general instructions. Work is reviewed for compliance with instructions and established procedures, accuracy, and the nature and propriety of the final results.
: The work involves performing various duties in reviewing properties for code compliance in the City. The incumbent is required to perform varied duties including physical observation, simultaneous operation of vehicle and computer, processing reports and interpersonal communication.
Scope and Effect
: The purpose of this position is to ensure a properly maintained environment within the City as well as surrounding communities. Successful implementation of the work results in a properly maintained appearance of property.
: Contacts are typically with other law enforcement officers, citizens, defendants, judges, attorneys, city employees and the general public.
Purpose of Contacts
: Contacts are typically to give and exchange information, resolve conflicts, negotiate or settle matters.
: Visual acuity in both eyes, normal color vision; hear in-person, radio and telephone conversations; recognize differences or changes in sound patterns, loudness or pitch; speak audibly and clearly; identify and distinguish smells of different materials; sit or stand for prolonged periods; walk, run, kneel, stoop, crawl and crouch; make precise and coordinated finger, hand and limb movements; work efficiently for long periods of time.
Work is performed either in an office environment or in a variety of field and office settings and may require exposure to potentially harmful conditions. Willing to work any hour of the day or night (shift work), overtime, weekends, on call and holidays; work at any location in the City and travel on specific assignments.
Supervisory and Management Responsibilities
High school diploma or equivalent; Associate’s degree or two (2) years college coursework preferred; valid Georgia Driver’s license US citizen; at least 21 years of age; at least one (3) three year of experience in code enforcement, building inspection, development inspection or similar environment dealing with investigative and case preparation work. Any equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered. Must meet Code Enforcement Certification requirements along with a successful completion of the pre-employment process which includes oral interview, background check, criminal records and traffic history check, medical and drug screening, polygraph evaluation, and/or voice stress, valid State of Georgia Driver’s License; equivalent combination of education and experience.
Open depending upon qualifications.
Applications will be accepted until August 31, 2018. Applications are available on the City website at: www.cityofclarkston.com
Interested applicants may submit applications and resumes via U.S. Mail or email to:
City of Clarkston
Attn: Tracy Ashby, City Clerk
1055 Rowland Street
Clarkston, GA 30021