$56,785– $85,178 per year
(Salary depends on experience)
August 8, 2018
Open until Filled
Under the general guidance of the Director of Finance, the Controller performs supervisory and professional accounting work for the City of Smyrna. This position ensures accurate accounting and reporting of the City’s financial position and is responsible for establishing, monitoring, and evaluating goals and objectives of the City’s centralized accounting system. This is a management position that assists the Finance Director with managing the daily operations of the department.
Essential Job Duties
Minimum Requirements of Position
- Evaluates, monitors, and strengthens internal accounting controls to protect the City’s financial assets and provide accurate, reliable, and consistent financial reports: audits financial documents and transactions; ensures accuracy, compliance with accepted accounting principles and policies, and ensures appropriate coding, posting etc.; identifies discrepancies; and initiates and/or implements corrective actions to resolve discrepancies and correct errors.
- Ensures the City’s financial reports and records comply with internal and regulatory standards such as GASB and GAAP; and proposes and implements enhancements to the reporting process as appropriate.
- Prepares and/or supervises the preparation of the City’s financial reports, statements, and summaries: creates and updates queries to obtain information for financial reports; establishes and maintains a variety of department manual records and files
- Oversees and assists with the upkeep of the general ledgers, funds, and accounting records: balances and reconciles accounts; prepares journal entries and related documentation and enters changes into accounting system; prepares financial reports; and analyzes financial information and prepares statistical data, findings and recommendations.
- Facilitates and coordinates the annual audit process, serves as a liaison between the auditors and staff.
- Supervises, directs, and evaluates assigned staff.
- Acts as the Finance Director in his/her absence; represents the Finance Director on various committees as assigned.
- Assists the budget officer during peak periods of the budget cycle.
- Assists with preparation of bids for financial services (banking, auditing, treasury services, etc.).
- Performs related work as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in finance, accounting or a related field; supplemented by five years of progressively responsible accounting experience in a government organization; or any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities for this job.
- Possess CPA certification or have successfully passed CPA exam (Director of Finance is licensed CPA)
- Prior Governmental audit experience
Applications must be submitted online: www.smyrnacity.com
* * * * The City of Smyrna is an Equal Opportunity Employer * * * *