Water Maintenance Worker
Reporting to the Water Director, this position assists in the construction, repair and maintenance of the water and wastewater system.
August 9, 2018 through August 16, 2018
Submit resume to Bartow County Human Resources, 135 West Cherokee Ave. St. 256 Cartersville, Georgia 30120 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Collects water and sewer samples.
- Operates a jet-truck to clear lines.
- Installs water and sewer taps and service lines.
- Locates leaks and makes repairs.
- Pumps septic tanks.
- Assists in maintaining and operating water and wastewater treatment plants.
- Repairs and installs fire hydrants.
- Repairs manholes.
- Repairs construction cuts on roadways, sidewalks, driveways, and lawns.
- Operates truck and heavy equipment.
- Operates hand and power tools.
- Performs related duties.
KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED BY THE POSITION
- Knowledge of the materials and methods used in the construction, maintenance and repair of water lines.
- Knowledge of water sampling and testing techniques.
- Knowledge of departmental and safety policies and procedures.
- Skill in the operation of a variety of tools and equipment.
- Skill in the location of underground utilities.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
The Water Maintenance Crew Leader assigns work in terms of general instructions. The supervisor spot-checks completed work for compliance with procedures, accuracy, and the nature and propriety of the final results.
Guidelines include county and department policies and procedures. These guidelines are generally clear and specific, but may require some interpretation in application
COMPLEXITY/SCOPE OF WORK
- The work consists of related maintenance duties. Inclement weather contributes to the complexity of the work.
- The purpose of this position is to assist in the maintenance of the water distribution system. Successful performance helps ensure the efficiency and effectiveness of that system.
- Contacts are typically with co‑workers, other county employees, and the general public.
- Contacts are typically to give or exchange information, resolve problems, and provide services.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/ WORK ENVIRONMENT
- The work is typically performed while standing, walking, bending, crouching or stooping. The employee frequently lifts light and occasionally heavy objects, uses tools or equipment requiring a high degree of dexterity, distinguishes between shades of color, and utilizes the sense of smell.
- The work is typically performed outdoors, occasionally in cold or inclement weather. The employee is exposed to dust, dirt, grease, and machinery with moving parts. Work requires the use of protective devices such as masks, goggles, gloves, etc.
SUPERVISORY AND MANAGEMENT RESPONSIBILITY
- Ability to read, write and perform mathematical calculations and high school diploma.
- Sufficient experience to understand the basic principles relevant to the major duties of the position, usually associated with the completion of an apprenticeship/internship or having had a similar position for one to two years.
- Possession of or ability to readily obtain a valid driver’s license issued by the State of Georgia for the type of vehicle or equipment operated.