Job Title: Accounting Specialist
This position is responsible for assisting the Finance Manager with all accounting tasks, and the maintenance of Finance records.
Knowledge Required by the Position:
- Processes accounts payable using accounting software;
- Prepares invoices for payment, generates payments and obtains signature of approval for expenditures;
- Communicates with the public, outside vendors and contractors to answer general questions and resolve particular issues regarding invoices and payments;
- Reconciles all Town bank accounts and benefit accounts to the general ledger; and performs journal entries as needed;
- Assists the Finance Manager in preparing monthly and year-end financial reports for Mayor, Council and Town Manager;
- Assists with development of the Annual Financial Report by conducting research and compiling supporting documentation for auditors;
- Assists the Finance Manager with Payroll;
- Provides requested data, reports and other necessary items to ensure the completion and accuracy of annual audits;
- Processes and distributes vendor tax forms on an annual basis; maintains files of all tax forms, 1099 tax forms annually and files necessary tax records with IRS;
- Coordinates workers compensation claims and audits;
- Analyzes monthly SPLOST expenditures and budget and provides report to Finance Manager and Town Manager;
- Assists the Finance Manager and Town Manager with annual benefits renewal; collects bids for annual benefits package, coordinates employee benefits surveys;
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of accounting principles, practices and procedures;
- Basic knowledge of municipal accounting administration;
- Effective written and oral communication skills;
- Skill in using a variety of computer programs and modern office equipment for administrative functions;
- Ability to organize data and compile clear, concise reports;
- Ability to operate a computerized accounting system;
- Ability to work well with others;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with departmental personnel, other Town personnel, vendors and the public.
The work of this position is performed under the general supervision of the Finance Manager.
Guidelines include municipal accounting principles and practices and Town ordinances, policies and procedures.
The work consists of a variety of administrative and clerical duties.
Job Title: Accounting Technician (Continued)
: Contacts are typically with vendors, co-workers, elected and appointed officials and the general public.
Purpose of Contacts
: Contacts are typically to give and exchange information and provide services.
: This work is typically performed indoors with the employee sitting at a desk, with occasional bending and lifting.
Work is performed in an indoor office environment.
Supervisory and Management Responsibility:
Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or related field required; one (1) year related experience preferred; valid State of Georgia driver’s license and satisfactory Motor Vehicle Record required; equivalent combination of education and experience.