August 14, 2018
Open Until Filled
Under the supervision of the Fleet Service Supervisor, this position services and maintains a variety of automobiles, trucks, light, medium, and heavy equipment, and other specialized equipment. Position is responsible for inspecting, diagnosing, repairing and maintaining vehicles and equipment and performing preventive maintenance.
Essential Job Duties
Minimum Requirements of Position
- Inspects, performs preventive maintenance and services a variety of gas, diesel, hydraulic and electrical equipment and vehicles; uses a variety of testing procedures and equipment to diagnose problems; replaces, repairs and/or rebuilds defective or worn parts and systems to restore vehicles and equipment to good working condition. Work ranges from preventive maintenance to overhauling vehicle and equipment parts and systems including engines, transmissions, brakes, tires, electric and hydraulic parts, exhaust systems.
- Test drives vehicles and equipment to ensure proper working conditions.
- Orders parts; picks up parts from vendors as needed. Makes service calls to repair equipment and vehicles away from shop. Paints equipment.
- Installs additional accessories, such as two-way radios, sirens, beacons, lights, etc. required on City vehicles for public safety.
- Fabricates, cuts, and welds various items, such as trailers, garbage truck rear hopper, trash containers, and truck chassis.
- Sweeps, mops, and cleans shop and performs any other related duties.
- High school diploma or GED; supplemented by vocational training in fuel injection and automobile computers; supplemented by one (1) year previous experience and/or training that includes automotive and equipment maintenance and repair; or any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities for this job.
- Preferred ASE current certifications.
- Must possess/maintain valid Georgia Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) w/ appropriate endorsement(s).
- Must successfully pass criminal background and Motor Vehicle checks.
- Must successfully pass post-offer drug screening.
Applications must be submitted online
* * * * The City of Smyrna is an Equal Opportunity Employer * * * *