Position Description for
Manager of Commercial & Retail Development
REPORTS TO: President, Development Authority of Augusta, GA
The Manager of Commercial & Retail Development is responsible for developing, directing and coordinating programs for new and existing retail and commercial business investments within Augusta and Richmond County. The professional will serve as a key liaison between various private and public entities, including the Board of the Development Authority of Augusta, GA, Mayor of Augusta-Richmond County, Administrator of Richmond County, members of the Augusta-Richmond County Board of Commissioners and departments. This is a combined sales, marketing and project management position, requiring skills in both lead generation and deal closing. The Manager must possess highly effective organizational, communication and interpersonal skills and must be able to work in confidence with corporate and governmental officials on matters that will remain confidential to the Development Authority of Augusta, GA. Other highly desired skills include competence in market analysis and demographics, comprehension of the real estate development process, urban planning, redevelopment strategies, self-starter, lead generator and relationship oriented person, facilitator, matchmaker and networker with negotiation skills, innovation and creativity related to marketing and real estate product development, knowledge of and curiosity to engage with industry wide challenges and trends (online sales, M&A, quarterly and annual retailer growth objectives, etc.).
Education & Experience
Critical Thinking Skills
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in marketing, public relations, economics, business, urban/regional planning or related field(s), ideally with an MBA or other post-graduate work, from an accredited college; or equivalent experience.
- Minimum of three years of management, executive and strategic leadership experience in the retail and/or commercial development field(s), economic development, business recruitment and/or brand development.
- Eligible to obtain a valid State of Georgia driver’s license within the first 90 days of employment.
- Possess skills necessary to establish and maintain effective working relationships with people and organizations.
- Experienced team builder and leader that will effectively represent the AEDA in a professional manner at all times.
- Ability to evaluate and select among alternative courses of action quickly and accurately.
- Ability to work well in high-pressure situations while maintaining composure and objectivity.
- Ability to identify potential issues and develop methodologies to prevent or limit the impact of those issues.
- Ability to assimilate complex information and data from various sources and consider, adjust or modify to meet the constraints of the need.
- Ability to effectively listen to, understand, and clarify concerns and issues expressed by stakeholders.
- Ability to assess situations and solve problems, work effectively under stress, within deadlines, and with changes in work priorities.
- Sound understanding of budgets, income statements and balance sheets.
- Possess a clear understanding of revenue bonds and their positive impact on business growth opportunities; real estate financing; grant writing and administration; and governmental agreements, including but not limited to intergovernmental agreements and public/private contracts.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing with individuals and the public; ability to make effective public presentations.
Technology and Communication Skills
- Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
- Proficient with word processing, PowerPoint and/or Prezi, and Excel skills to prepare business correspondence, reports, and presentations with speed and accuracy.
- Skill in writing grammatically correct routine business correspondence such as letters, emails, meeting minutes, and other documents as required.
- Ability to make oral group presentations to persuade others to accept a specific opinion, action and/or provide information or explain procedures, policies, etc.
Specific Duties and Functions
Retail and Commercial Development and Marketing
- Serve as the Development Authority’s leader in preparing and marketing Augusta-Richmond County for recruiting new retail and commercial enterprises into the city/county tax base with enhanced focus on South Augusta and less developed areas. The main areas of concentration shall include retail, commercial, office, professional and mixed-use developments. The duties shall include, but are not limited to, the following initiatives:
- Prepare a report for all meetings of the City of Augusta’s Retail and Commercial Committee under the direction of the President of the Development Authority of Augusta, GA.
- Monitor available properties and organize efforts to maximize business retention and expansion.
- Determine available financial packages and incentives available to commercial and retail developments.
- Develop a matrix to monitor and track success of retail and commercial in our underserved areas.
- Prepare and administer a budget for the programs with guidance from the President of the Development Authority of Augusta, GA. Prepare an annual action plan to address retail and commercial in Richmond County and its underserved areas.
- Develop information regarding programs, services, activities, issues, policies and procedures and prepare written and visual material for public presentations, brochures, news releases, etc.
- Travel as needed to call on business prospects, professional site selection consultants and encourage the location of new business ventures in Augusta-Richmond County. Maintain contact with local retail and commercial investors to keep them informed about business opportunities in Augusta-Richmond County.
- Maintain confidentiality as required with all projects, investigate incentive possibilities, and establish a clear understanding of the benefits of locating in Augusta-Richmond County especially in the areas of workforce development, utilities, transportation, environmental, cost of living, quality of life and other important factors. Keep the public and private sector informed of the progress of the program without violating any confidentiality agreement. Report as required to the Board of the AEDA.
- Coordinate community development activities with appropriate City/County Departments.
- Arrange educational speaking engagements with interested groups including realtors, bankers, civic clubs, etc.
- Attend and represent the AEDA at meetings of the Downtown Development Authority, area business associations, Main Street meetings and other similar activities.
- Attend appropriate retail and commercial trade shows representing Augusta and Richmond County opportunities.
- Coordinate with statewide partners engaged in assisting cities with retail and commercial development (Electric Cities, Georgia Power, Georgia EMC).
- Responsible for developing and implementing the AEDA’s Economic Development Strategic Plan relating to retail and commercial development in conjunction with the AEDA President and Board.
- Work with local economic development allies such as other development authorities, Metro Augusta Chamber of Commerce, Augusta Technical College, local utilities, local government, business associations, the Georgia Department of Labor, the Georgia Department of Economic Development, the CSRA RDC and others for the benefit of new and expanded retail and commercial growth and for the people of Augusta-Richmond County.
- Build positive relationships with elected officials and local community leaders.
- Provide research, data and appropriate guidance to local, state and federal business and government leaders regarding the impact of economic development on the local tax digest.
- Serve as a team builder and facilitator between all local, state and federal officials as well as local and statewide utility and infrastructure vendors that impact the community.
- Perform other duties that may be assigned by a member or members of the AEDA relating to economic development for Augusta-Richmond County.
Organization Structure and Conditions
Working Conditions - This is a diversified job requiring sustained mental effort related to public contacts, organizational issues, mediation, planning and technical areas as well as travel, public speaking and non-standard business hours.
Email to: email@example.com.
The Augusta Economic Development Authority is an equal opportunity employer.