The Washington County Board of Commissioners will accept applications from qualified applicants for an experienced professional to fill the vacancy of Public Works Director.
Washington County, the 10th
County formed in Georgia, was created in 1783 and is currently home to approximately 20,500. Washington County has over 700 miles of roads, which include both paved and dirt roads, which require continuous maintenance and planning for improvements.
Candidates should possess a Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering, Construction Management, or closely related field. Substantial related experience in transportation construction, engineering, or management may be considered in lieu of education requirement. Management experience in road construction, industry or government, as well as budget management is strongly preferred. Experience in County or municipal government is also preferred. Competitive salary dependent on qualification, plus excellent fringe benefits provided.
Additionally, the ideal candidate should possess the following
HOW TO APPLY
- Thorough knowledge of the materials, equipment, procedures and methods used in road and bridge construction maintenance; shop and equipment maintenance; garbage collection operations.
- Thorough knowledge of the occupation hazards and safety precautions of the work.
- Thorough knowledge of the characteristics of asphalt materials as to methods of application and utilization.
- Thorough knowledge of road construction and design.
- Ability to lay out, direct and supervise the work of motor equipment operators, skilled labors and unskilled laborers performing all activities of the Road Department, Shop and Collection Center.
- Ability to set standards of performance and inspect against these standards.
- Ability to give on-the-job training to subordinate personnel.
- Ability to understand and follow technical instruction and specifications.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, officials and the general public.
- Ability to prepare reports and maintain records.
- Thorough knowledge of equipment and equipment repairs.
- Demonstrated skills to build strong trust with the Board and Public, while enhancing the credibility of County government.
- Promote teamwork, share information, and encourage open government.
- Honest, respectful, ethical behavior demonstrating professional conduct at all times.
- Understand the need to listen and ability to develop open rapport with staff.
Employment applications may be obtained at the Washington County Board of Commissioners office or via email request to the address below.
Please submit résumé, cover letter, employment application and salary history by 5:00 pm on Friday, October 5, 2018
Public Works Director
Washington County Board of Commissioners
119 Jones Street
Sandersville, Georgia 31082
You may instead email same to firstname.lastname@example.org
with “Public Works Director” in the subject line.