Employment Opportunities >> Finance
Senior Accounting Specialist
City of Peachtree City
Posted: Aug. 29, 2018
End Date: Oct. 31, 2018
Senior Accounting Specialist
Reports To: Accounting Manager
Salary Grade: 14
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Job Code: FIN/5
This position performs specialized duties related to the city's payroll and accounts payable functions.
· Reviews, processes, and inputs invoice and other accounts payable data.
· Distributes vendor invoices for approval; prints and distributes checks for payment of vendor invoices; prepares manual checks.
· Coordinates with vendors to resolve problems and answer inquiries.
· Prepares weekly demand registers.
· Verifies, audits, and prepares bi-weekly payroll; maintains payroll records; reviews employee timesheets; resolves timesheet discrepancies.
· Transmits direct deposit information to banks; prints and distributes checks and direct deposit stubs.
· Prepares, reviews and reconciles quarterly and annual federal and state payroll tax reports; generates, reviews and distributes W2s and 1099s.
· Reviews and counts daily cash receipts from city departments; examines receipts for accuracy and completeness; resolves deposit discrepancies; prepares daily deposits.
· Provides information to auditors as requested.
· Prepares a variety of regular and special reports.
· Performs related duties.
KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED BY THE POSITION
· Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP).
· Knowledge of city accounts payable processes.
· Knowledge of city payroll processes.
· Knowledge of relevant federal and state laws, city ordinances, and department policies and procedures.
· Knowledge of computers and job-related software programs.
· Skill in problem solving.
· Skill in prioritizing and planning.
· Skill in interpersonal relations.
· Skill in oral and written communication.
· Ability to work cooperatively and collaboratively in a workplace of dignity and respect.
The Accounting Manager assigns work in terms of general instructions. The supervisor spot-checks completed work for compliance with procedures, accuracy, and the nature and propriety of the final results.
Guidelines include GAAP, relevant state and federal laws, and city and department policies and procedures. These guidelines are generally clear and specific, but may require some interpretation in application.
COMPLEXITY/SCOPE OF WORK
· The work consists of related specialized duties. Strict regulations and the need for accuracy contribute to the complexity of the position.
· The purpose of this position is to perform specialized duties related to the city's payroll and accounts payable functions. Successful performance ensures the efficiency and effectiveness of those functions.
· Contacts are typically with coworkers, representatives of other government agencies, bankers, auditors, vendors, and the general public.
· Contacts are typically to exchange information, resolve problems, and provide services.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/ WORK ENVIRONMENT
· The work is typically performed while sitting at a desk or table. The employee frequently lifts light objects.
· The work is typically performed in an office.
SUPERVISORY AND MANAGEMENT RESPONSIBILITY
· Knowledge and level of competency commonly associated with completion of specialized training in the field of work, in addition to basic skills typically associated with a high school education.
· Sufficient experience to understand the basic principles relevant to the major duties of the position, usually associated with the completion of an apprenticeship/internship or having had a similar position for one to two years.
· Ability to be bonded.
The qualifications listed above represent the credentials necessary to perform the essential functions of this position. To be successful in this position, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.