General Definition of Work
Performs intermediate professional work assisting with the preparation and maintenance of the Associations' financial records, entering revenue information into computer system, verifying and reconciling assigned accounts, and other financial accounts, preparing reports, and related work as apparent or assigned. Full-charge bookkeeping for the Georgia State Fire Fighters’ Association. Work is performed under the supervision of the Chief Financial Officer and limited supervision Insurance Accounting & Finance Director.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable an individual with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Organization Culture Alignment
- Supports the Association's "Four Pillars," civic engagement, leadership development, legislative advocacy, and membership services through the support of division or program staff and interaction with local governments and authorities; has knowledge of and general understanding of the programs and services offered by the Association and provides outstanding customer support that reflects well on the entire Association.
- Provides and exhibits outstanding customer service, teamwork, and organizational commitment.
- Supports the overall organization by executing the directives as set forth by the Association.
Data Management & Analysis
- Enters a variety of data into the Association's database; verifies statistical and other records for accuracy and completeness; enters and retrieves sensitive and restricted information into computer; prepares and maintains associated files and records; prepares and disseminates various financial reports.
- Records deposits for various Association revenues including meeting and conference revenue, dues, sponsorships, magazine and publication revenue.
- Records deposits for the Association's Property and Liability Insurance, Workers' Compensation and Firefighters’ Cancer Programs including liability, workers' compensation, and Firefighters’ Cancer Program insurance premiums, deductibles and run-off claims, wire transfers, overpayments, subrogation’s, salvages and subsequent injury trust funds.
- Records invoice information for county Association dues, corporate member dues, workers' compensation and property liability member contributions, audited premiums and workers' compensation large deductible and run-off claims invoicing.
- Reconciles cash including operating and claims accounts, receivable, payable accounts, paid claims, salvage/subrogation and deductibles of Property Liability, Workers' Compensation Funds and Firefighters’ Cancer Program on a monthly basis; reconciles contribution and audited premiums of Property Liability and Workers' Compensation Funds on a quarterly basis.
- Record and reconcile unit accounts on a quarterly basis for Property and Liability and Workers’ Compensation Funds.
- Calculates sponsorship fees to ACCG quarterly.
- Full-charge bookkeeping for the Georgia State Fire Fighters’ operating and Joint Chiefs’ accounts. - Reconciliation of bank accounts, recording of revenues and expenditures, processing of accounts payable. Preparation of monthly financial statements.
- Reconciles on-line publication and PayPal fund accounts on a monthly basis for designated Association accounts.
- Manages on-line publication store transactions; compiles monthly and quarterly sales tax information to be reported from on-line sales.
- Produces 1099’s for recipients and filings with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).
- Assists with quarterly reports for insurance operations.
- Assists in the implementation of plans and strategies between the Association, banks and processing companies.
- Operates a variety of standard office equipment.
- Performs related tasks as required.
- May require overnight travel.
Education and Experience
Bachelor's degree with coursework in accounting, finance, insurance/risk management, or related field
3-5 years of progressive experience in accounting, preferably in an insurance related field
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- General knowledge of insurance accounting principles, practices, rules and regulations in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles.
- Thorough knowledge of and intermediate level experience working within the Microsoft Great Plains and Quickbooks software packages.
- Thorough knowledge of 1099 rules and regulations, and IRS filing requirements.
- Thorough knowledge of accounting terminology, methods, procedures and equipment; ability to prepare complete and accurate reports from various accounting data.
- Thorough knowledge of principles and procedures of financial record keeping and reporting; ability to understand and apply laws and established policies to the maintenance of financial records.
- Ability to post accounts and to perform mathematical computations with speed and accuracy.
- General knowledge of the Handbook for Georgia County Commissioners and the relevant fundamentals of county government in Georgia; general knowledge of the Official Code of Georgia, state and federal rules and regulations.
- Skill in the use of a variety of office machines; ability to operate personal computers including some knowledge of applicable software packages.
- Skill in the use of standard office software applications, specifically Microsoft Office products, including Outlook, Word and Excel.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written directions; ability to establish and follow work procedures.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates, member organizations and clients, banking institution and processing company representatives and the general public.
- This work requires the occasional exertion of up to 10 pounds of force.
- Work regularly requires sitting, speaking or hearing, using hands to finger, handle or feel, reaching with hands and arms and repetitive motions and occasionally requires climbing or balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching or crawling, pushing or pulling and lifting.
- Work has standard vision requirements; vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word; hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels.
- Work requires preparing and analyzing written or computer data, operating motor vehicles or equipment and observing general surroundings and activities.
- Work has no exposure to environmental conditions; work is generally in a moderately noisy location (e.g. business office, light traffic).
Valid driver's license in the State of Georgia.
Submit cover letter and résumé to HR@ACCG.org