City of Powder Springs
Job Title: Equipment Operator Public Works Department
FLSA Status: NON-EXEMPT Salary Range: $13.69 /hour-21.22/hour
This position performs equipment operation work in the maintenance of city roads, streets and drainage systems. This position reports directly to the Public Works Water Supervisor.
EQUIPMENT OPERATOR I This is the trainee/entry level classification level.
Knowledge Required by the Position:
- Operates assigned equipment in the maintenance and repair of City roads, streets, drainage systems, including gasoline and diesel powered automotive and heavy equipment, light to medium duty trucks, tractors, excavators, packers, rollers and various machines, tools and powered equipment.
- Hauls materials to and from site; secures site; grades site.
- Repairs streets by assisting with paving and patching.
- Cleans gutters, sidewalks, catch basins, drop inlets and facilities.
- Performs daily inspections on maintenance vehicles and equipment used on the job; documenting and recording missing equipment and/or needed repairs.
- Oversees the installation of water and sewer lines.
- Checks and maintains equipment, trucks, trailers and power tools.
- Collects and disposes of debris, trash, etc., on job site.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of city and department policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of State Motor Vehicles Laws.
Job Title: Equipment Operator (continued)
- Knowledge of geographical layout of the City.
- Knowledge of water system operations.
- Skill in proper operation and basic repair of machinery and trucks used in assigned section.
- Skill in proper use of materials, manual and power tools, methods, and techniques used in construction, maintenance and repair activities.
- Skill in trenching and excavating.
- Ability to recognize hazardous materials and situations and respond according to training and county policies and procedures.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to communicate effectively with co-workers, and the general public.
Supervisory Controls: Work is assigned by Public Works Water Supervisor. Work is performed under their supervision.
Guidelines: Guidelines include city and department safety manuals, policies and procedures.
Complexity: The work consists of a manual labor and technical duties involving proper use of a variety of equipment.
Scope and Effect: The purpose of this position is to repair and maintain city roads, streets, sewer and water lines, and drainage systems.
Personal Contacts: Contacts are typically with co-workers, public utility workers and the general public.
Purpose of Contacts: Contacts are typically to give and exchange information and provide services.
Physical Demands: This work is typically performed outdoors with the employee sitting, standing, walking, bending, crouching, carrying pulling, balancing, kneeling or stooping and may require physical exertion over moderately long periods of time. The employee may lift light to moderately heavy objects and use equipment requiring a high degree of dexterity. The employee must be able to maneuver in confined spaces.
Work Environment: Work is performed primarily in an outdoor environment where the employee is exposed to noise, dust, dirt, grease, machinery with moving parts, irritating chemicals and possible sustained periods in hot, cold or inclement weather. The work may require use of protective devices such as gloves and safety jackets.
Supervisory and Management Responsibility: Oversees the work of water and street teams, but final supervisory responsibilities, including hiring, promoting, and disciplinary actions, are given to the Public Works Water Supervisor, Street Supervisor and Public Works Director.
- EQUIPMENT OPERATOR I – High school diploma or GED; one (1) year manual labor experience; equivalent combination of education and experience; must possess or have ability to possess and maintain valid Georgia CDL license.
The City of Powder Springs is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
All applicants must complete a City of Powder Springs employment application. Applications may be down loaded and printed from the website at www.cityofpowdersprings.org or you may visit Powder Springs City Hall at 4484 Marietta Street, Powder Springs, GA 30127 to request an application.
Submit completed application to:
City of Powder Springs,
Rosalyn Nealy, Human Resources Director
P. O. BOX 46
Powder Springs, GA 30127
Closing Date: Open Until Filled