The City of Norcross is looking for a Full time Deputy City Clerk
The purpose of this position is to give clerical support to the City Clerk and the Mayor and Council. A significant portion of time is also given in clerical support to the Office of the City Manager.
GENERAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Under the Direction of the City Clerk, a variety of duties will be performed to assist these offices in successful completion of work in the Executive Offices. The following list of duties will be performed as learned and assigned by the City Clerk.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Preparation of pre-agendas and agendas for all scheduled City Council Meetings, including maintaining electronic files for City Clerk and Council.
- Assist with preparing and submitting agenda items as needed.
- Assist in preparation of annual budgets for City Clerk and Mayor/Council.
- Verify and distribute ads in the Gwinnett Daily Post as required.
- Sort, copy and distribute faxes and mail for City Clerk, City Manager, Mayor and Council.
- Maintain the event and meeting calendar for Mayor/Council and schedule use of Council Chambers and Conference Room.
- Assist with preparation of public hearing notices, meetings, etc., including posting of all notices for compliance of Open Records and Open Meetings Act. Post notices, agendas and minutes to the website.
- Assist to ensure all information is available to the public in compliance with Open Records and Open Meetings Acts.
- Assist City Clerk with general and special elections as needed.
- Assist in updating, changing and distribution of changes to ordinances of City Code.
- Assist in research and verification of contracts, agreements or City records as necessary.
- Assist City Clerk in preparations for city related functions that are the responsibility of the City Clerk.
- Assists with City Elections; acts as the City’s Absentee Ballot Clerk and Deputy Elections Superintendent; helps to ensure that the entire election process is held without incident, legal notices are posted and supplies ordered
- In the absence of the City Clerk:
- Attend Department Head and Council Meetings,
- Sign and execute documents as authorized by Mayor and Council,
- Approve purchase orders and various bills for issuance and payment, and
- Answer the telephone, forward calls to officials and staff; provide information to the public, elected officials, department heads and other City employees.
- Assist City Clerk in establishment of centralized filing system for all City departments.
Other Essential Duties
- Specific License or Certification required: must obtain and maintain a valid Notary Public Certification, and Certification by the Georgia Municipal Clerks and Finance Officers Association (GMC/FOA) as a Certified Clerk (or have the ability to obtain certification within two (2) years of employment).
Education and/or Work Experience Requirements:
- Performs other related duties and special projects as assigned by City Clerk
- Must be able to work evenings and odd hours
- Knowledge of or ability to understand and interpret municipal laws, policies, codes, and regulations;
- Knowledge and ability to understand modern records management techniques;
- Knowledge or ability to learn the legal requirements related to keeping and preserving council minutes and all official records;
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret complex documents;
- Excellent knowledge of or ability to learn City Ordinances, policies and procedures;
- Ability to good exercise judgment to resolve constituent inquiries.
- Associate’s degree or two (2) years of college or technical coursework required supplemented by three (3) years of experience performing administrative support and clerical duties for public officials; or any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities for this job;
- State of Georgia Municipal Clerk Certification preferred but not required; valid State of Georgia Driver’s License
- Bilingual (English & Spanish) preferred
$43,085.12- $49,452/ annually
Please submit resume and cover letter with Job #DCC092018 to firstname.lastname@example.org