Plan Reviewer II – Planning and Zoning
Primary Service Area:
Community Development Department
Planning and Zoning Manager
The Collaborative, (www.thecollaborative.com)
an award-winning consulting firm with a national reputation for excellence in planning, design, engineering, transportation and communications, seeks a talented Plan Reviewer to join its team of professionals supporting a contract for the City of Sandy Springs, GA. Our Sandy Springs community development team operates as an on-site, full-service community development department in support of the City of Sandy Springs, providing planning and zoning, building and permitting, and code enforcement services. The Collaborative also manages two other departments in support of the City, including Communications and Economic Development. The services provided by the Community Development Department are wide-ranging and constantly changing. It is a fast-paced environment, requiring attention to detail and flexibility in prioritization.
The Plan Reviewer II conducts work of moderate to high complexity and must possess thorough understanding of zoning and site development. The Planner II works under limited supervision.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
The primary duties and responsibilities of the Planner II include:
- Interprets and applies applicable state, county and local codes, ordinances and regulations
- Reviews various development applications including plats, permits and site plans for compliance with the Development Code
- Handles variance petitions
- Assists with updates and maintenance of the Comprehensive Plan, Development Code and Technical Manual
- Writes and presents formal and technical reports and correspondence
- Attends a substantial number of evening and weekend meetings
Duties and Responsibilities Details
- Provides with tact a variety of information to the public including conditions of zoning and land use regulations.
- Discusses potential projects with applicants, including property owners, developers and design professionals. Explains filing procedures and analysis criteria.
- Handles variance cases from submittal through decision. Solicits and compiles comments from other parties. Writes staff reports that include analysis of the proposal and recommendation. Presents findings at public meetings.
- Researches land use and zoning issues and proposes text amendments to the Comprehensive Plan, Development Code and Technical Manual. Coordinates proposed updates with colleagues in other divisions and departments. Presents findings to elected officials and the public.
- Demonstrates leadership by providing support to Planner Is and by identifying regulations in need of improvement.
- Minimum of four years of professional experience in plan review.
- Equivalent combination of training, education, and experience will be considered.
- Experience with local government preferred.
- Ability to read site plans.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to work under limited supervision.
- Familiarity with urban planning principles.
- Valid Georgia motor vehicle operator’s license is required.
The position is a full-time position. Work hours will include evenings as necessary.
Salary and Benefits
The Collaborative offers a competitive salary and benefits package.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Collaborative does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law. The firm will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship. This policy governs all aspects of employment, including selection, job assignment, compensation, discipline, termination, and access to benefits and training.
Please send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
. No phone calls please.