The Town of Thunderbolt is currently accepting applications for Clerk of Council/Zoning Administrator.
Bachelor’s degree in Business/Public Administration, or related field required. Certified Municipal Clerk and knowledge of municipal government is desired. Detailed oriented. Professional. Personable and must be able to work well with the public; and effectively handle multiple tasks and other duties that may be required from time to time. Must be able to work within deadlines. Ability to maintain accurate records is mandatory. Candidate must work well with elected officials and other department heads. This position works at the pleasure of the Mayor and Council of the Town of Thunderbolt.
This position must master the Town of Thunderbolt Code of Ordinances and the Planning & Zoning Ordinances
Valid GA driver’s license and have adequate means of transportation
Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly and concisely in oral and written form
Demonstrated ability to type and possession of computer skills
Description of Duties:
- Responsibilities include custodian of all official records and documents of the Town and the Planning & Zoning Commission.
- Supervises the preparation, maintenance, processing and custody of town records and other documents attesting to the validity of public records. Make any necessary reports to state and federal agencies as necessary.
- Maintains the tax records and is responsible for the bill-out cycle of municipal taxes (Real and Personal) as well as sending delinquent tax notices when necessary and executing adjustments, FiFa process and condemnation process.
- Communicate and notify the Town Attorney concerning any legal issues concerning the Town of Thunderbolt, Town Council, Petitioners or Residences.
- Manage collection of taxes.
- Responsible for accurate managing all the license and permit issued by the Town of Thunderbolt; also for the timely billing of all license renewals, and collection process of any delinquent licenses.
- Works closely with the Building Inspector and Code Enforcement Officer and coordinate inspections and stop work orders.
- Oral and written communications to petitioners and residences when needed or necessary.
- Distribute monthly to Mayor and Council the current list of building permits.
- Responsible for composing and publishing all legal required advertisements based on legal timeline for advertisements.
- Assist the Administrative Staff, if needed pursuant to the request by the Town Administrator.
- Coordinate and supply information on Retirement/Pension with Town Administrator or Town’s Benefit Coordinator.
Clerk of Council:
- Manages and prepares business meeting agenda for Town Council Meetings
- Communicate & distribute all documents pertaining to the agenda meetings the Friday before the Town Council meeting to all Council members and Town Attorney.
- Keep minutes and attend all official meetings, workshops or additional meetings and prepare and post those minutes within the legal allotted timeframes.
- Communicate & Distribute all Town Council meeting minutes to Town Council and Town Attorney.
- Will work independently within the framework established by laws and policies regarding administrative and fiscal duties under the general supervision of the Town Council.
- Work is primarily reviewed through quality of reports, conferences, and annual evaluations.
- Act as the Town Election Registrar and serve as Town Qualifying Officer - distributing and submitting the applicable documents for Town of Thunderbolt’s Mayor and Council elections.
- Interact with Federal, State and Local officials as required.
- Communicate and keep Mayor and Council informed of all Town issues or concerns arising from petitioners, legal matters, federal, state, or local issues affecting the Town of Thunderbolt affairs and residences.
- Perform all administrative duties as requested by Town Council.
- Keep all Town Ordinances up-to-date in Ordinance book and
- Town and Municode websites.
Planning & Zoning Administrator:
- Prepare agenda, attend, and keep all minutes for the Zoning Board.
- Act as a primary resource regarding the Zoning Ordinance.
- Enforce all zoning ordinances as it pertains/effects to the Town.
- Forward approved Zoning petitions to Chatham County/MPC as they affect the Town’s zoning maps.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Notify Petitioners of their meeting date the Friday before meeting date.
- Communicate & distribute all documents pertaining to agenda items to the Planning & Zoning Commission members the Friday before the Planning & Zoning meeting.
- Distribute to Town Council and Town Attorney copies of the Planning & Zoning meeting minutes including all on- site meetings or workshop meetings in a timely manner.
- Keep all Zoning Ordinances up-to-date in Zoning Ordinance book and Town and Municode websites.
- Knowledge in modern office equipment, methods, and procedures
- Knowledge in Word, Excel, and general office equipment and filing systems
- Ability to learn the town geography
- Ability to learn departmental programs, policies, and procedures
- Skill in oral and written communication with correct English usage, grammar, spelling and punctuation
Applications may be obtained from the Town of Thunderbolt website at www.thunderboltga.org.
Resumes and applications may be submitted to:
Town of Thunderbolt
2821 River Drive
Thunderbolt, GA 31404
The Town of Thunderbolt is an equal opportunity employer and a drug free workplace.