This position is responsible for routine street, equipment, water, and sewer maintenance.
KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED BY THE POSITION
- Performs routine street maintenance duties including grass mowing, leaf and limb removal from roadsides, and street upkeep and repair including installation of street signs.
- Operates weed-eater and blower to edge city sidewalks and curbs; repairs sidewalks as necessary.
- Picks up litter from roadsides; operates wood chipper.
- Assists with pouring, spreading, and leveling asphalt, concrete, and gravel; patches roads as needed with cold patch, concrete, or by spreading gravel.
- Loads and unloads stone, gravel, dirt, asphalt, and other street construction and maintenance materials.
- Operates trucks and construction equipment as directed; makes minor repairs and adjustments to equipment.
- Fills and repairs road shoulders; participates in cleaning, constructing, and maintaining drainage ditches.
- Reads water meters; turns services on and off.
- Performs routine maintenance of equipment including washing, checking fluid levels, and lubricating.
- Performs minor small engine repair.
- Washes and cleans city vehicles.
- Repairs water and sewer lines.
- Repairs valves and installs meters, backflow devices, and hydrants.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of safety procedures pertaining to street maintenance.
- Skill in operating street and grounds maintenance tools and equipment.
- Skill in the use of such tools as chainsaws, jack hammers, wood chippers, trucks, mowers, and various hand tools.
- Skill in directing traffic efficiently and effectively.
- Skill in following instructions.
- Skill in operating vehicles and equipment.
The Public Works Superintendent assigns work in terms of somewhat general instructions. The supervisor spot-checks completed work for compliance with instructions and established procedures, accuracy, and the nature and propriety of the final results.
Guidelines include State of Georgia driving regulations and the Flowery Branch Personnel Policy. These guidelines are generally clear and specific but may require some interpretation in application.
COMPLEXITY/SCOPE OF WORK
- The work consists of varied public works repair and maintenance duties. Inclement weather and knowing how to use equipment properly contribute to the complexity of the position.
- The purpose of this position is to perform public works maintenance and repair duties. Success in this position helps ensure clean and safe roadways, buildings, and property.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/ WORK ENVIRONMENT
- Contacts are typically with co-workers, City Hall employees, and the general public.
- Contacts are typically to provide services and to give or exchange information.
SUPERVISORY AND MANAGEMENT RESPONSIBILITY
- The work is typically performed while intermittently sitting, standing, stooping, walking, bending, or crouching. The employee frequently lifts light and heavy objects, climbs ladders, uses tools or equipment requiring a high degree of dexterity, distinguishes between shades of color, and utilizes a sense of smell.
- The work is typically performed in a stockroom, warehouse, or a very noisy place. The employee is exposed to dust, dirt, grease, machinery with moving parts, and contagious or infectious diseases or irritating chemicals. The work is performed outdoors, occasionally in cold or inclement weather, and may require the use of protective devices such as masks, goggles, and gloves.
- Ability to read, write and perform mathematical calculations at a level commonly associated with the completion of high school or equivalent.
- Sufficient experience to understand the basic principles relevant to the major duties of the position, usually associated with the completion of an apprenticeship/internship or having had a similar position for one to two years.
- Possession of or ability to readily obtain a valid driver’s license issued by the State of Georgia for the type of vehicle or equipment operated.
- Possession of or ability to readily obtain CPR certification.