$81,662- $102,077 per year
October 19, 2018
November 18, 2018
This position plans, organizes, coordinates, and directs the day-to-day operations of the Engineering Department. The City Engineer represents the City on all engineering related matters, providing engineering assistance/guidance to the City Administrator and City Council, ensuring maintenance of traffic signals and signage, and ensuring quality development in the City.
Essential Job Duties
Minimum Requirements of Position
- Provides engineering assistance to the City Administrator; provides recommendations to the City Council.
- Supervises, directs, and evaluates assigned staff, counsels, disciplines, and completing employee performance appraisals; trains and motivates staff.
- Develops, plans, and implements long and short term strategic plans, goals, and objectives for the City in the area of Engineering; develops and implements policies and procedures for effective operations and maintenance; prioritizes and oversees Engineering projects and activities.
- Develops and implements departmental budget; monitors expenditures to ensure compliance with approved budget; establishes cost estimates for projects; develops bid specifications; solicits bids for equipment.
- Oversees traffic signal network and troubleshoots signal problems.
- Reviews all new development plans; reviews subdivision and commercial plans for compliance with ordinances and construction standards; coordinates changes with developers and their engineer; supervises the inspection and acceptance of City improvements and private development.
- Recommends infrastructure improvements; supervises and participates in project design; coordinates with consulting engineers in the design and construction of larger street and drainage improvement projects
- Works with the Community Development Director and Staff on all new annexations. Ensures streets are properly signed and striped. Consults with Community Development on zoning and related issues.
- Provides drainage recommendations to citizens; provides assistance to the public regarding floodplain, zonings, driveway locations etc.
- Responsible for maintaining the City General Stormwater Discharge Permit in accordance with all regulatory and MS4 requirements. Oversees preparation and submits annual storm water report to EPD, including annual storm water samples.
- Responsible for the NPDES Storm Water Management Program including compliance, public education, and enforcement activities.
- Responsible for management and enforcement of the Stream Buffer Protection, Flood Plain Management/Flood Damage Prevention, Soil Erosion Sediment and Pollution Control, Post Development Stormwater Management, Illicit Discharge Elimination, and other related ordinances within the City.
- Consults with county and state Department of Transportation officials on road projects.
- Communicates with supervisor, City officials and employees, vendors, engineers, developers, contractors, law enforcement personnel, the public, outside agencies, and other individuals as needed to coordinate work activities, review status of work, exchange information, resolve problems, or give/receive advice/direction.
- Attends meetings and serves on committees; provides testimony at public meetings.
- Ensures compliance with the Memorandum of Understanding (MOA) with Cobb County SWCD and the GSWCC.
- Writes City ordinances and/or amendments.
- Bachelor's degree in engineering or closely related field; supplemented by ten (10) years previous experience and/or training that includes progressive, responsible technical and senior management experience in road design, site development, and traffic signal timing; or any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities for this job.
- Must possess and maintain valid license as a Registered Professional Engineer in the State of Georgia.
- Must possess and maintain a valid Georgia driver's license.
Applications must be submitted online: www.SmyrnaGA.gov
* * * * The City of Smyrna is an Equal Opportunity Employer * * * *