$59,712 - $74,640
October 31, 2018
November 30, 2018
This position will assist the Director of Public Works in planning, organizing, coordinating, and directing the day-to-day work of the Streets, Fleet Maintenance, Sanitation/Recycling, Building and Grounds, and Water and Sewer divisions and to assist in establishing and communicating departmental goals.
Essential Job Duties
Minimum Requirements of Position
- Assists in planning, organizing, coordinating, and directing the day-to-day work of the Streets, Fleet Maintenance, Sanitation/Recycling, Building and Grounds, and Water and Sewer divisions; oversees the maintenance and construction of City streets; oversees the repair and maintenance of City vehicles and equipment; oversees the collection, storage, transportation, and disposal of all garbage, yard debris and recycled materials generated in the City; oversees the construction and maintenance of all City water distribution system and waste water collection systems; conducts field inspections of the progress and quality of work.
- Assists in the preparation of the annual budget for Public Works; ensures that assigned areas of responsibility are performed within budget; monitors budget expenditures.
- Supervises, directs, and evaluates assigned staff, processing employee concerns and problems, directing work, counseling, disciplining, and completing employee performance appraisals; trains and motivates staff; makes hiring and termination recommendations.
- Responds to public complaints, questions, and problems; meets with local citizens to answer questions or hear and/or investigate problems.
- Provides technical advice to subordinates, the Director, the City Administrator, and elected officials.
- Ensures that work is performed safely and in compliance with all state permits, laws, and regulations; participates in the conduct of safety meetings for departmental employees.
- Manages contract administration for subcontracted work and project management inspections.
- Coordinates operations with other departments, divisions and agencies on various construction projects including operations during emergency and inclement weather conditions.
- Vocational/Technical training with emphasis in construction trades; supplemented by five (5) years previous experience and/or training that includes progressively responsible technical experience in Public Works and Water/Waste Water and Storm Sewer, with some supervisory experience; or any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities for this job. Must possess and maintain a valid Georgia driver’s license.
- Class III water license or greater preferred.
- Ability to read and interpret maps, engineered drawings, specifications and shop drawings.
Applications must be submitted online: www.smyrnaga.gov
* * * * The City of Smyrna is an Equal Opportunity Employer * * * *