|Uses Global Positioning Systems (GPS) technology, equipment and methods to collect and process city infrastructure items. Assists in surveying and construction staking services for County projects and issues related to development, roadway, drainage, and construction. Works within the guidelines of state laws, County ordinances, County and departmental policies and procedures, industry accepted survey, engineering practices, and standard operating procedures. Reports to Chief Surveyor or designated person and works with co-workers, vendors, computer service personnel, employees, and government agencies.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Collects and processes infrastructure data using GPS receivers and software, performs land surveying and construction staking. Performs fieldwork, measurements, elevations, monuments, physical evidence and identifying importance.
- Assists in writing Legal Descriptions. Prepares and reviews record of Survey Plats and searching Record.
- Assesses surveying problems such as right-of-way abutments, legal access, etc.
- Assists in field reviews on proposed right-of-way projects, abandonments, dedications, etc.
- Assists in infrastructure data development and the implementation of the Final Plat and R/W Dedication process.
- Researches deeds, titles, ownerships, and surveys.
- Performs right-of-way & easement determination for Tree Management program.
- Trains and serves as resource to Jr. Surveyors, co-workers and other engineering personnel
|Education: High School diploma or GED
Experience: Four (4) years of experience in land surveying and GPS/Digital data collection.
- Excellent knowledge of GPS and Surveying technology principles, concepts, and data-collection techniques.
- Excellent working skills in use and care of GPS and surveying equipment and performing all phases of surveying and GPS data management.
- Proficient to perform measurements of land to determine the position of any monument or reference point which marks a property line, boundary, or corner for the purpose of determining the area or description of the land.
- Ability to collect, enter attribute information for, download, and process positional information for various natural and man-made features as requested in a manner that data collected can be integrated into the city's GIS database.
- Preparation and perpetuation of field note records and maps depicting field noted features and setting, resetting, or replacing of points to guide the location of new construction.
- Mastery of personal computer use and working knowledge of drafting, surveying instruments, and performing engineering calculations.
- Good communication skills, both oral and written, and demonstrated ability to work with a team or independently.
- Supervise and/or train designated co-workers or subordinate personnel.
- Travel required from office to other locations on a regular basis.
Certification: Possess or have the ability to obtain Georgia E&S Level 1B certification.
License: Possession of a valid driver's license with good driving history. If State license is other than Georgia or South Carolina, applicant must obtain a license in Georgia or South Carolina within 30 days of employment. ***This position requires driving a county vehicle.***
Depending upon area of assignment:
Intermittent sitting, standing, stooping, crouching, walking, lifting of light and heavy objects, climbing ladders, using tools and equipment that require a high degree of manual dexterity, and the ability to distinguish between shades of color. Work is performed outdoors with exposure to noise, inclement weather, dirt, grease, dust, and machinery with moving parts requiring use of protective devices. Exerting up to 100 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 50 pounds of force frequently to move objects.
|This position requires staff call up in an emergency situation. Travel from office to other locations is required (more than 50%).
The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees to this job.
**To apply for this position, please visit www.augustaga.gov and click "Career Center"**