This position is responsible for serving patrons at the circulation desk and for performing a variety of related duties, including first level reference, reader’s advisory, and/or children's services.
KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED BY THE POSITION
- Provides services to patrons at the circulation desk by checking materials in and out, renewing materials, renewing and issuing cards, responding to telephone inquiries, and resolving circulation problems.
- Resolves patrons/ questions about overdue notices, fines and other circulation matters.
- Shelves returned and new materials; performs shelf reads to maintain collection order.
- Receives monies for fines, lost or damaged materials, book sales, photocopies, etc.
- Provides first level reference assistance to patrons.
- Recommends books and materials to patrons.
- Searches shelves for missing items; manages follow-up procedures.
- Assists in the maintenance and cleaning of the library; collects trash; straightens furniture; restocks restroom.
- Receives and processes holds and intra-library loans as appropriate.
- If assigned to children’s services, assists with children's programming as assigned; assists with story-time and summer reading programs; provides assistance to parents and children in the selection of books and other materials.
- Performs related duties.
- Knowledge of the library’s public service commitment.
- Knowledge of library policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of the library computer system.
- Knowledge of computers and job-related software programs.
- Skill in the provision of customer services.
- Skill in interpersonal and public relations.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
- Ability to work cooperatively and collaboratively in a workplace of dignity and respect.
The supervisor assigns work in terms of general instructions. The supervisor spot-checks completed work for compliance with procedures, accuracy, and the nature and propriety of the final results.
Guidelines include library and city policies and procedures. These guidelines are generally clear and specific, but may require some interpretation in application.
COMPLEXITY/SCOPE OF WORK
- The work consists of related duties in the provision of services to library patrons. Frequent interruptions contribute to the complexity of the position.
- The purpose of this position is to provide services to library patrons. Successful performance in this position contributes to the effective and efficient operation of the library.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/ WORK ENVIRONMENT
- Contacts are typically with coworkers, other city employees, patrons, and the general public.
- Contacts are typically to give or exchange information, resolve problems, and provide services.
SUPERVISORY AND MANAGEMENT RESPONSIBILITY
- The work is typically performed while intermittently sitting, standing, stooping, bending, crouching or walking. The employee frequently lifts light and occasionally heavy objects, and distinguishes between shades of color.
- The work is typically performed in a library.
- Ability to read, write and perform mathematical calculations at a level commonly associated with the completion of high school or equivalent.
- Sufficient experience to understand the basic principles relevant to the major duties of the position, usually associated with the completion of an apprenticeship/internship or having had a similar position for one to two years.
The qualifications listed above represent the credentials necessary to perform the essential functions of this position. To be successful in this position, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.