Planning and Zoning Director
City of Hoschton
This position is responsible for directing the day-to-day activities of the City of Hoschton Planning & Zoning Division; directs and facilitates the Code Enforcement division and facilitates economic, planning and business development. Other responsibilities include: retention and expansion of businesses into the City; marketing the City in order to expand economic development; serves as the principal liaison to local and county development authorities; and responsible for managing the City's comprehensive planning activities. Work is performed independently under the general supervision of the City Administrator.
The following duties are not intended to serve as a comprehensive list of all duties performed by all employees in this classification—only a representative summary of the primary duties and responsibilities. Incumbent(s) may not be required to perform all duties listed and may be required to perform additional, position-specific duties.
QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Plans, directs and supervises in zoning code implementation and long-range comprehensive plan activities.
- Manages the work of consultants completing engineering studies and construction projects; ensures compliance with local, state and federal requirements.
- Manages the City’s code enforcement division; ensures compliance with local Ordinances.
- Completes special projects related to land use planning and related subjects; conducts research and makes policy recommendations.
- Serves as staff advisor to the Planning & Zoning Commission; composes agendas and staff reports and recommendations on zoning cases to the Commission; attends all public meetings of the Planning & Zoning Commission and City Council, when required.
- Reviews and approves site plans, subdivision plans and plats, development permits and zoning requests (to include variances and annexations).
- Administers and interprets development, land use, architectural and environmental regulations to the public and developers.
- Researches, applies for and administers grants and other funding.
- Meets with developers to review plans and plats for compliance with City's development regulations and zoning codes. Reviews and approves preliminary and final plats.
- Answers questions regarding adopted codes and ordinances and related procedures on development plans, zoning applications and land use; assists in the enforcement of related Ordinances.
- Maintains the City's Comprehensive Plan and performs other current and long-range planning activities regarding growth management, transportation planning, annexation, etc.
- Drafts changes and renders interpretations to zoning ordinances and development regulations; initiates any actions necessary to correct deviations or violations.
- Knowledge of principles and practices of urban, regional and community planning.
- Knowledge of principles and techniques of economic and industrial development.
- Knowledge of development regulations, ordinances, zoning and land-use policies.
- Knowledge of governmental regulatory codes and construction methods pertaining to infrastructure development and building construction.
- Knowledge of basic techniques of residential and commercial construction and construction management.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of commercial and residential development.
- Knowledge of the general organization and operations of a city government.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks under strict deadlines.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to read and interpret engineering drawings.
- Ability to work with a diverse development and business community.
- Ability to plan, direct and supervise subordinate personnel.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with government officials, City employees, the general public, citizens, developers, business leaders and others.
- Experience sufficient to thoroughly understand the work to be able to answer questions and resolve problems.
Bachelor’s degree in Public or Business Administration, Urban Planning or related field, and a minimum of three years of progressively responsible local government experience or any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge and skills.
The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and the employee, and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
Any equivalent combination of education and experience is acceptable. Salary between $52,000 - $67,000 and is based upon experience. Benefits include health, dental, vision, vacation, sick leave and holidays.
Please email resume and cover letter to email@example.com or mail: City of Hoschton, Attn: City Administrator, 79 City Square, Hoschton, GA 30548 no later than November 30, 2018.