November 7, 2018
November 28, 2018
Under the general supervision of the Chief Jailer, this position is to supervise a shift of detention officers involved in the processing of inmates into and out of the jail facility and to maintain the safety, security and welfare of inmates during incarceration.
Essential Job Duties
- Supervises, directs, and evaluates assigned staff, processing employee concerns and problems, directing work, counseling, disciplining and completing employee performance appraisals; interviews employment applicants and makes hiring recommendations; conducts/coordinates training.
- Oversees and coordinates work of detention officers on a shift.
- Communicates with other shift supervisors to exchange relevant information at shift change.
- Ensures compliance with all applicable codes, laws, rules, regulations, standards, policies and procedures; reports deviations or violations.
- Ensures the decent, humane and non-abusive treatment of inmates by detention officers and other members of the Smyrna Police Department.
- Consults with the jail supervisor or division commander to receive direction and make recommendations.
- Enforces jail rules, regulations and procedures; maintains inmate discipline; maintains a secure and peaceful environment in the facility.
- Monitors inmate activities inside the facility on a continual basis.
- Performs related work as needed.
Minimum Requirements of Position
- High school diploma or GED; Associates degree preferred; supplemented by two (2) years previous experience and/or training involving jail operations, corrections, law enforcement, or security work; or any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities for this job.
- Five (5) years of supervisory experience preferred.
- Bilingual (Spanish/English) and Military applicants desirable.
- Must possess a valid Georgia driver’s license.
- Must be able to obtain a valid GA POST Basic Jailer certification within one year of employment.
- Must be able to obtain the Intoxilyzer 9000 certification within one year of employment.
- Assignments involving GCIC computer operation may require possession and maintenance of valid GCIC certification.
- Successfully pass extensive background check, driver’s history check, post-offer psychological, pre-employment physical and drug screen.
Applications must be submitted online at: www.smyrnaga.gov
* * * * The City of Smyrna is an Equal Opportunity Employer * * * *