Job Title: Chief Municipal Court Clerk
Background: The City of Clarkston is located in central-west DeKalb County, near regional destinations such as Stone Mountain and is a fifteen minute drive from the City of Atlanta. Clarkston has remained a small town throughout the years. The City is under the city-manager form of government and seeks an experienced and self-motivated Chief Court Clerk to manage all aspects of the city’s Municipal Courts Department.
• Individual health insurance is provided with no employee cost and a reduced rate for dependent coverage is offered.
• Excellent defined benefit retirement plan at no cost to the employee.
• Ten paid holidays annually
• Twelve days of vacation to start, increasing to a max of 20 days of paid vacation annually
• Twelve paid days of sick leave annually
GENERAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- To support the vision, mission and guiding principles of the City of Clarkston.
- While performing any procedure, all employees and contract personnel must observe applicable Safety, Health, and Environmental rules and guidelines. The use of appropriate personal protective equipment is required.
- Attend and participate in training opportunities and seminars relevant to this position.
- Adhere to appropriate company operating procedures, benefit rules, employment, and safety policies/practices.
Responsible for the supervision and for overseeing the daily operations of the Municipal Court. Work involves coordinating all court functions, assisting the judge and solicitor with court proceedings, processing court cases as directed by the judge, and maintaining municipal court records in accordance with prevailing laws, municipal policies and procedures.
- Supervises, directs and assists with the work of department personnel; plans, organizes, and assigns work;
- Schedules, assigns, monitors and evaluates the work of employees; instructs and trains in correct methods and procedures; reviews and evaluates employee performance;
- Serves as the Terminal Agency Coordinator; certifies and trains police officers and new employees on how to operate the Georgia Crime Information Center (GCIC) system;
- Responsible for fulfillment of all official Open Records requests pursuant to the Georgia Open Records Law (O.C.G.A § 50-18-70 et seq.) (the “Law”) related to municipal court records, citations and court cases.
- Provides clerical support by answering and directing phone calls; assists at the front counter, distributes paperwork and information, processes and prepares legal documents and court forms; documents court orders and files paperwork; maintains jail board;
- Collects citations from officers; electronically files and submits to the State of Georgia; runs criminal and driver history reports for each individual that receives a citation;
- Accepts fees and fines, completes receipts and posts payments for traffic fines, restitution payments and other payments authorized by court order; balances cash drawer;
- Oversees the acquisition of materials, supplies, services and equipment for the department;
- Provides assistance and information to attorneys, agencies, judge, solicitor, probation officer, sworn personnel, City staff and the general public on court procedures and the status of cases;
- Ensures compliance with federal and state laws and regulations;
- Prepares and processes records, forms, and other legal papers for court; ensures all materials are complete, accurate, and in compliance with State law and court policies and procedures;
- Responds to inquiries, questions, and complaints from the general public and Court related personnel over the telephone and in person regarding Court procedures, policies, personnel, or specific cases;
- Prepares, maintains, and distributes various reports, records, and other documents pertinent to the efficient operation of the Court and those required by the State; ensures compliance with State requirements and court policies and procedures;
- Receives, account and deposits money for fines and fees;
- Records and files various legal reports, records and other documents pertinent to the Court; ensures records are in compliance with Court policies and procedures and State requirements;
- Assists with obtaining information from GCIC network;
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED BY THE POSITION:
- Knowledge Required by the Position:
- Knowledge of the functions, policies, and procedures of Municipal Court and court operations;
- Knowledge of general office procedures and modern office equipment;
- Knowledge of Georgia Crime Information Center (GCIC) procedures;
- Knowledge of City and departmental policies and procedures;
- Knowledge of basic accounting principles;
- Knowledge of applicable state and federal laws;
- Knowledge of legal terminology;
- Skill in performing basic mathematical calculations;
- Skill in operating a computer and entering data into a database;
- Ability to make routine mathematical computations and tabulations accurately and with reasonable speed;
- Ability to communicate and deal effectively with other employees and the public, both orally and in writing;
- Ability to plan, delegate, coordinate and improve the operations of the Municipal Court;
- Ability to motivate subordinate employees;
- Ability to identify needs, develop long and short range plans and to evaluate outcome;
- Ability to deal tactfully and courteously with general public in sometimes difficult and trying circumstances.
- Supervisory and Management Responsibility: This position has direct supervision over deputy court clerks.
High School diploma or equivalent, Associate's degree with two (2) years of college coursework from an accredited college or university in criminal justice or related field preferred. Five (3) years of related experience; equivalent combination of education and experience.
Hiring Range - $50,000 to $65,000 Based on experience level.
Applications will be accepted until November 26, 2018. Applications are available on the City website at: www.cityofclarkston.com
Interested applicants may submit applications and resumes via U.S. Mail or email to:
City of Clarkston
Attn: Tracy Ashby, City Clerk
1055 Rowland Street
Clarkston, GA 30021