JOB TITLE: Director
DEPARTMENT: Parks and Recreation, City of Cartersville
JOB SUMMARY: This position is responsible for the overall administration of the department.
- Directs the administration of all departmental programs, operations, and facilities.
- Directs the planning and implementation of a comprehensive program of leisure services.
- Directs the planning, design, financing, construction and maintenance of all recreation facilities.
- Directs the development of short-and long-range plans for the department, including coordination of formulation and implementation of a ten-year comprehensive recreation master plan for the City of Cartersville.
- Promotes departmental programs by making presentations to groups and maintaining communication with the media; insures adequate marketing of all leisure services offered to citizens.
- Develops departmental policies and procedures; implements policies and procedures approved by City Council.
- Prepares the annual departmental budget; monitors expenditures under the existing budget.
- Updates the Recreation Advisory Board on the programs offered and facilities used throughout the year.
- Hires, trains, evaluates, and counsels’ department staff.
- Attends meetings of City Council.
- Oversees maintenance and operation of city swimming pools, bath houses, park buildings, athletic fields, trails, parks and Civic Center.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED BY THE POSITION:
- Knowledge of city policies, procedures, and department functions.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of public and recreation administration.
- Knowledge of the theories and techniques of recreation service delivery for a variety of populations.
- Knowledge of relevant laws, departmental and safety guidelines, and city codes, policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of federal, state, and local laws, building codes, and safety regulations pertaining to recreation and park facilities.
- Knowledge of recreation maintenance and repair techniques.
- Knowledge of budgetary processes and procedures.
- Skill in supervision.
- Skill in planning and organizing recreational services.
- Skill in public speaking.
- Skill in interpersonal relations.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
- Four-year college degree; B.S. Parks and Recreation Administration, and background with a minimum 5-years supervisory experience in Parks and Recreation or related field
- Certified Recreation and Park Professional (CRPP) certification or obtained with 1-year
- Possession of or ability to readily obtain a valid driver's license issued by the State of Georgia for the type of vehicle or equipment operated.
Interested in applying? Please submit a letter of interest and resume to Human Resources at HR@cityofcartersville.org or in person at 1 N. Erwin St. Cartersville, GA 30121 by 5 PM, December 12, 2018. Please direct any questions to Human Resources 770-387-5619.