JOB TITLE: System Engineer
DEPARTMENT: Electric, City of Cartersville
JOB SUMMARY: This position is responsible for providing design services and technical guidance related to the technical engineering duties for the Engineering Section of the Cartersville Electric System.
- Acts as a resource for electrical engineering technicians in the design, operation and repair of distribution lines, substations, electric services, site lighting, control systems, and related engineering tasks necessary for the Engineering Technicians to complete their tasks.
- Acts as an engineering liaison between the Engineering Supervisor and consulting engineers, contractors, and electricians on a variety of electrical projects.
- Draws and revises industrial, commercial and residential electrical construction plans using computerized drafting methods and geographic information systems (GIS).
- Once trained, write and execute routine or emergency switching orders for distribution or substation maintenance, repair, or outage restoration. Review switching orders written by others to ensure that it is complete, correct, safe, and compliant with I.T.S, guidelines.
- Provides technical assistance with preparation of industrial proposals; develops existing industry retention programs.
- Prepares drawings for joint-use requests to other utilities; maintains communication with company representatives as needed.
- Investigates complaints from the public.
- Develops technical diagrams and drawings for a variety of projects.
- Provides information to assist in the preparation of the annual departmental budget.
- Participate in the after-hours call rotation.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED BY THE POSITION:
- Knowledge of City and departmental policies and procedures pertaining to the provision of electrical services and the maintenance of electrical equipment.
- Knowledge of the principles, methods, and techniques used for electrical engineering, construction, and maintenance projects.
- Knowledge of federal, state, and local laws, rules, and regulations governing electrical engineering projects.
- Knowledge of the principles and methods of mathematics, trigonometry, algebra, and geometry.
- Knowledge of civil and electrical engineering principals, including the methods and software used in engineering-related drafting, mapping, surveying, and GIS.
- Skill in drafting, reading and modifying maps, blueprints, schematics, and site plans. Skill in performing engineering computations.
- Skill in the use of a personal computer, calculator, level, and a variety of engineering and drafting tools.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
- A bachelor degree in Electrical Engineering or Electrical Engineering Technology.
- Operational knowledge and competency of CAD operation.
- Experience sufficient to thoroughly understand the work of technicians to be able to answer questions and resolve problems.
- Ability to work effectively in an environment with varying priorities and working environments.
- Ability to communicate effectively and proficiently in the English language for written and verbal communication.
- Possession of a valid driver’s license issued by the State of Georgia.
- Ability to obtain I.T.S low-side, high-side, and SCADA certifications are required for this position. Certification must be obtained within a timeframe established by the director (typically within 6 months of employment for the first certification, and six months for each additional certification, but may be longer based on available training dates).
Interested in applying? Please submit a letter of interest and resume to Human Resources in person at 1. North Erwin St. Cartersville, GA 30120 or email documents to HR@CityofCartersville.org
by 5 PM on December 15, 2018. Please call Human Resources at 770-387-5685 or 770-387-5619 if you have any questions about how to apply.