Under general direction of the Benefits Manager performs a variation of highly responsible and complex professional, technical and analytical activities in support of the City’s benefit administration. Provides benefit information and related forms to employees and retirees, responds to standard inquiries, and reviews completed forms. Reviews various billings for accuracy, researches and reconciles errors, and submits for payment. Runs reports and pulls records from benefit and payroll software systems. Reviews reports and records from the City, insurer, and third-party administrator and reconciles any discrepancies.
Overview of Duties, Responsibilities and Position Requirements
Any combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential functions of the job qualifies.
- Performs administrative and technical activities related to the administration of a wide variety of City employee benefits including the City’s open enrollment process and making changes to employee benefits.
- Establishes procedures to ensure appropriate coordination and monitoring of enrollment and benefits eligibility; coordinates internal and external networks and systems with appropriate City staff and external vendors; coordinates with payroll and accounting staff on internal financial system data and reporting requirements.
- Reviews the development of open enrollment materials; assists with coordinating the annual open enrollment process to include workday content entry, testing and implementation; employee communications (web, electronic, hard copy, presentations and meetings); and end to-end process assistance to ensure timely and accurate open enrollment completion.
- Facilitates new employee benefit orientations; provides an overview of City benefits and ensures forms are completed appropriately. Ensures proper documentation is provided to verify proof of relationship when adding dependents to benefits plan.
- Provides existing employees with information regarding City benefits, ensuring completion of required paperwork; responds to employee questions regarding benefits.
- Participates in the administration of the City’s various retirement plans
- Maintains and updates benefit summary brochure used in recruiting.
- Responsible for accurate daily maintenance of all employee benefit information.
- Maintains current records and coverage on all participants in the various benefit programs by processing enrollments, terminations, and/or change forms, setting up employee files, entering information into the City’s HRIS-Benefits database and transferring information electronically to the third party administrator; notifies appropriate carriers of new enrollees to ensure that eligible employees obtain coverage in a timely manner.
- Reviews bi-weekly payroll reports and updates benefit database to make appropriate adjustments regarding employee changes, terminations, new enrollees, deduction errors, changes in status and inconsistencies.
- Participates in technology upgrades by providing workflow information, assists with testing, and other work process improvement initiatives.
- Audits monthly billings from various carriers against eligibility reports for changes and terminations, balancing carrier reports with payroll to recommend payment of bills; notifies company of any billing errors.
- Collaborates with Payroll and other departments to ensure billing and payroll deductions are accurate.
- Reviews and reconciles quarterly billing for Morgan Stanley, First State Trust and Transamerica.
- Monitors and documents the use of time off under the Family Medical Leave Act.
- Monitors and updates Paid Time Off (PTO) and Extended Sick Leave (ESLB) balances and distributes reports to department timekeepers as needed. Manages tracking and distribution of PTO hours for the PTO donation program.
- Assists with Citywide Wellness Program and Events.
- Processes employee benefit changes to include scanning, faxing, or data entry into carrier websites. Verifies that changes are supported with proper documentation and that changes comply with appropriate regulations.
- Prepares requisitions and supporting documentation for processing insurance payments. Facilitates payment or wire transfer of funds to insurance companies for payments when appropriate; includes preparation of documents for payment of funds to and from various accounts.
- Makes corrections for over/under payments of premiums for benefits; prepares documents for repayment for employees overpaid in error. Sets up deductions to make corrections to deductions for insurance benefits.
- Conducts a variety of special projects, as directed.
- Prepares and disseminates employee benefits information, including handbooks, newsletters and bulletins, benefits fairs, and written and oral presentations.
- Maintains current knowledge of state and federal legislation regarding employee benefits or that may affect employee benefits.
- Performs related duties as required or assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in human resource management, benefits administration, business administration, or a related field.
- Four years of increasingly responsible administrative/technical experience preferably in an area related to the department’s function.
- Knowledge and use of Tyler Technologies Munis software including benefit’s open enrollment is preferred.
- Possession of a valid Georgia Class C driver’s license.
Please submit: (1) a cover letter of interest, (2) resume, and (3) employment application (https://www.alpharetta.ga.us
All documents may be submitted electronically by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
or fax to 678-297-6041. If you are mailing your submission, send all documents to Kathy Bott, Human Resources Manager, City of Alpharetta, 2 Park Plaza, Alpharetta, GA 30009. Completed application packages will be received until the position is filled.