The City of Fairburn has the following position available:
Journeyman Electric Lineworker
Annual Salary: $68,640.00
Electric Division Superintendent
This is a non-exempt, hourly position responsible for installation, maintenance and repairs to the electrical system of the City of Fairburn.
Each position in this classification may not include all the duties listed below, nor do the examples cover all duties that may be performed.
Under general supervision:
- Climbs power poles and steel towers, splicing and making repairs to energized lines.
- Serves as crew leader as required, completing the necessary paperwork (material forms, time sheets, etc.) and preparing, reading and/or interpreting construction prints and work requests.
- Installs, removes or repairs the following equipment on energized or de-energized lines in all types of weather conditions; anchors, cross-arms, insulators, brackets, capacitors, regulators, poles, switches, lightning arrestors, grounds, transformers (overhead and underground primary, secondary and services) URD switchgear, LBC cabinets, manholes, splices boxes and fuses.
- Switches, tags, tests and grounds overhead and underground electrical systems.
- Writes switching orders, performs and directs sub-station and field switching operations.
- Runs new service lines from pole or transformer to consumer's premises.
- Reconstructs existing lines and related fittings.
- Phases out and cuts in new circuits; pulls slack out of primary and secondary wires; tests poles, lines and other facilities.
- Trims trees to clear wires.
- Installs, maintains and repairs electrical underground distribution equipment such as conduit duct systems, boxes, and vaults, switches, capacitors, transformers, street lights, and concrete foundations.
- Installs electrical cable in ducts or directs burial; installs cable risers; splices and terminates non-leaded high voltage cables.
- After training, may be required to perform maintenance of sub-station equipment and assist Utility Electricians with wiring of substations.
- Drives trucks and operates associated equipment as assigned; assists in the instruction and training of other new crew members in techniques of the trade.
- Must possess or obtain certification as an Integrated Transmission System Operator through MEAG Power.
- Responds to emergency and scheduled overtime.
- Assists in the training of employees as required.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Supervise Ground workers, Apprentice Lineworkers, Lineworkers, Utility workers, and other personnel as assigned.
Education and Experience
- Graduation from high school or possession of a GED; and
- Completion of a recognized three-year apprenticeship program as a Line worker is required
- Three (3) years of electric utility experience beyond that required to complete Apprentice Lineworker training.Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Considerable knowledge of:
- The methods, tools, equipment, and materials used in electrical installation and repair work and in the construction and maintenance of electrical distribution and transmission lines, safety practices and regulations applying to low and high voltage electrical wires;
- Pertinent first-aid principles and techniques including resuscitation methods.Good ability to:
- Perform electrical installation and repair work and to construct and maintain electric distribution and transmission lines.
- Think and act appropriately and quickly in emergencies.
- Follow complex oral instructions.
- Maintain good public relations.
- And establish and maintain effective working relationships with others.Satisfactory ability to:
- Work from electrical plans and detailed drawings, effectively train and supervise others.
- Communicate clearly and effectively in English in person, and over the telephone.
- Demonstrate sensitivity, tact, and excellent customer service while interacting with others.
- Learn to operate personal computer hardware and software associated with UPC locate activities.
- Understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Exercise sound and effective judgment within established guidelines.
- Organize, coordinate, and complete duties to meet scheduled deadlines.
- Perform routine arithmetic calculations.
- Work in a team-based environment and achieve common goals.
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- Lift and carry objects weighing up to fifty (50) pounds.
The Journeyman Lineworker has a primary focus on installing, maintaining, and servicing the electrical system for the citizens and customers of the City of Fairburn. Incumbents in this classification must possess and maintain a valid class A Georgia driver’s license; maintain professionalism and courtesy when exposed to stressful situations; and may be required to work outside their regularly scheduled hours, and to be available for emergency and/or pre-arranged work whenever called upon.
Please go to our webiste www.fairburn.com
to apply for the position. Should you have any questions please contact Abril Montano in the HR Dept. 770 964-2244x111. Position closes 12/21/2018