The City of Thomson, Georgia is now accepting applications for City Administrator
. Thomson is located in McDuffie County, 35 miles west of Augusta Ga. Though currently stable with regard to economic growth and population, signs of future growth are in place as the Central Savannah River Area grows and spreads outward from Augusta Richmond County. The City of Thomson work force consists of 100 employees, responsible for providing services associated with water, sewer, natural gas, solid waste collection, as well as the public safety functions of Fire and Police Protection. The annual budget for all City operations is just under $20,000,000.
The City Administrator is responsible for direction, management, and oversite of the operations of all City departments. These include Administration, Public Works, Water/Sewer and Gas utilities, Solid Waste, Police and Fire. A few examples of these responsibilities are administration of policies and procedures, personnel decision-making, preparing the annual City budget and the performance to budget of four major funds…General, Water-Sewer, Gas, and Solid Waste. While managing day to day operations through departmental supervision, the Administrator is also responsible to the Mayor and Council for policy input and execution, for capital planning and its execution, and the interaction with various engineering firms, consultants, and state agencies as required. The City Administrator works closely with the Mayor and Council and reports directly to the Mayor. The successful candidate must be energetic, community–minded, be willing to be a part of the diverse leadership in the community and to continue to work closely with the management personnel of McDuffie County.
Other important qualifications include:
- A Bachelor's Degree is required in Public Administration, Business Administration, Engineering, or a related field from an accredited college or university; A Master’s Degree is preferred; along with at least seven to 10 years of progressively responsible experience in municipal government and municipal utility administration and management. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be acceptable.
- Ability to professionally speak, interact, and represent the City in the public, as well as meetings, presentations, etc.
- A background in and a thorough knowledge of utility management principles and practices
- Thorough knowledge of financial management principles and practices including governmental fund accounting, budgeting, and purchasing.
- Thorough knowledge of local government operations and administrative practices utilized in municipal organizations.
- Applicant must possess a valid Georgia driver’s license and successfully complete physical, drug screen and background check.
Salary for this position will be determined by knowledge and prior experience and is expected to fall within the range of $85,116 - $119,163 with a benefits package including health, retirement plan, paid time off, and reasonable relocation expenses.
- All applications should include: a completed application, current resume, salary history, and references. Applications must be received by noon, July 22, 2019
- Packages must be submitted HARD COPY ONLY. They must be completed, signed and mailed to :
- City of Thomson, P.O. Box 1017, Thomson, GA 30824, Attn: HR. Any questions should be addressed to Shanda Grant at email@example.com. EOE