Inspector-Water Distribution and Sewer Collection
This position is responsible for ensuring water and sewer construction and repair projects are completed in accordance with approved specifications, drawings, and appropriate government ordinances.
Knowledge and Skills Required:
- Conducts inspections of water and sewer main construction and repair to ensure the work is completed according to specifications.
- Locates water and sewer mains with GPS for GIS updates during installation.
- Assists in locating existing water and sewer mains.
- Assist in video inspections of sewer lines.
- Provide field documents and maintains inspection reports for GIS mapping and as-builts.
- Ability to store all pictures, reports and field data into a digital format.
- Assist in smoke and dye tests of water and sewer lines.
- Assists in inflow and infiltration studies of water and sewer lines.
- Responds to customer complaints.
- Conducts flow tests on fire hydrants.
- Provide field measurements and verifies quantities of installed work and stored material for pay request
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of water and sewer construction practices and procedures.
- Knowledge of water and sewer contract specifications and payment procedures.
- Knowledge of water testing procedures.
- Knowledge of department policies and procedures.
- Ability to learn the City of Cartersville water and sewer system.
- Knowledge of basic math skills and computer skills.
- Skill in record-keeping.
- Ability to learn the use of line location and leak detection equipment.
- Skill in the use of video cameras and equipment.
- Knowledge of a variety of engineering and surveying tools and equipment.
- Skill in reading and interpreting engineering drawings and specifications.
- Skill in oral and written communications.
- Minimum of a High School Diploma or GED.
- No less than 4 years of either installation, inspections or supervision of water and sewer construction.
- Knowledge and level of competency commonly associated with completion of specialized training in the field of work.
- Sufficient experience to understand the basic principles relevant to the major duties of the position, usually associated with the completion of an apprenticeship/internship or having had a similar position of two years or more.
- Possession of or ability to readily obtain a valid driver’s license issued by the State of Georgia for the type of vehicle or equipment operated.
- Possesses the knowledge of basic computer skills such as; Microsoft word, excel, office and the ability to transfer pictures and other documents into a digital format.
Ideally located with easy access to Atlanta and the North Georgia Mountains, Cartersville offers a community with a small-town feel while providing exceptional retail, restaurants, and cultural opportunities.
The City offers an excellent total compensation package to include a competitive salary, retirement benefits, medical, dental, and vision insurance; life insurance; short and long-term disability insurance; generous Paid Time Off (PTO), paid sick leave, and 11 paid holidays.
Interested in applying? Please submit an application and/or resume in PDF format only
to Human Resources at HR@cityofcartersville.org or in person at 1 N. Erwin St. Cartersville, GA 30120. Please direct any questions to Human Resources 770-387-5685.