This is a senior level position in the Public Works Department that reports to the Deputy Director of Public Works (Engineering - Inspections). The employee makes inspections of all commercial buildings under construction to determine compliance with various federal, state or local laws, codes or ordinances.
• Inspects buildings under construction at various stages of completion to ensure compliance with building codes and zoning ordinances.
• Inspects construction sites for compliance to determine if effective methods are in use to control sediment and mud.
• Ensures that the soil bearing for the foundation is adequate to support the building.
• Reviews building plans with architects, engineers and others to determine code compliance in structural, strength, stability, sanitation, lighting, ventilation, fire safety, driveway entrances, and curb cuts.
• Notifies contractors when code violations are found.
• Makes and discusses recommendations for changes and issues stop work orders as necessary.
• Studies and reviews new and existing codes and ordinances as needed.
• Sets up requested meetings with the Board of Construction Appeals.
• Issues citations to code violators, prepares summons, and provides testimony in court.
• Receives and handles calls of complaints and explains and interprets various code provisions to builders, contractors, architects and public.
• Receives telephone calls & emails from contractors to schedule appointments for inspections.
• Maintains daily inspection records and keeps other department records.
• Issues certificates of occupancy or completion or completion.