The City of Fairburn has the following position available:
POSITION: City Clerk
Salary Range $58,552.00 - $78,790.40 (commensurate with experience)
Eligible for health and dental coverage, retirement plan, life insurance, long term disability insurance, deferred compensation plan, ten paid holidays per year, ten days annual leave per year and ten days sick leave per year, and ancillary benefits.
Exempt (Not Eligible for Overtime Pay)
SCHEDULE: Normal operation hours are Monday – Friday, 8:00 am – 5:00 pm, with varied evenings to facilitate scheduled City Council and other meetings.
This is an exempt management level position appointed by Mayor and City Council and reports to the Mayor. Responsible for performing City Clerk duties as described in the City’s Charter, Code of Ordinances, as provided by the Mayor and City Council, and as listed herewith, with department administrative staff support. Work involves managing, planning, and operating the Office of City Clerk. Incumbent is required to attend City Council and other meetings. Work performance is evaluated through formal evaluation, conferences and reports, and is performance based.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Attend and help run City meetings; participate in meetings and make recommendations, prepare and distribute agendas, take minutes, and publicize information which is required to be made public by law.
- Attend conferences to provide assistance to the Mayor and City Council as needed.
<>·Ensure the process of creating an ordinance or resolution follows legal procedures and processes; create the documents, distribute them for amendments and revisions, and publish them for the public to see when such documents are subject to public inspection, public release, and open records laws.
- Develop, maintain and distribute Resolutions, Proclamations and other official documentation.
- Serve as the official custodian of all City records; organize, maintain, archive, and delete records according to Georgia law and the City’s records retention schedule.
- Oversee the development and maintenance of the City’s Records Retention schedule and Records Management Program.
<>··Responsible for the filing, reporting, and maintaining of annexation documents.
<>·Attend mandatory and other training offered by the Secretary of State and Ethics Department.
<>·Handle the collection and management of documents related to ethics filings for political candidates including campaign contributions and financial disclosure.
<>··Bachelor’s or higher degree in Public Administration, Political Science, Management, Business, or related field from an accredited college or university, preferred;
- Five (5) or more years City Clerk experience.
- Ten years of progressively responsible experience in a municipality or in public administration is preferred.
- Satisfactory background screening to include financial.
- Possession valid Georgia driver’s license.
Certificates, Licenses and Registrations, Required:
- State Certification as a Municipal Clerk
- Certified Elections Superintendent
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Thorough knowledge of public administration and municipal procedures and operations.
- Thorough knowledge of state and federal laws affecting local government, including recordkeeping and filing requirements and techniques.
- Thorough knowledge of management principles and supervisory practices. Ability to organize, supervise and give clear instructions to employees. Requires the ability to deal with and relate to people beyond giving and receiving instructions. Must be able to adapt and perform under minimal stress when confronted with an emergency.
- Thorough knowledge of modern office practices, methods, equipment and standard clerical procedures, including computers and related software applications.
- Comprehensive knowledge of Business English, spelling, arithmetic and municipal budgeting procedures.
- Ability to compile, analyze and evaluate data and prepare and maintain clear, accurate, and comprehensive recommendations, records and reports.
<>·Maintains high standards of accuracy in exercising duties and responsibilities. Exercises immediate remedial action to correct any quality deficiencies that occur in areas of responsibility. Maintains high quality communication and interface with all City departments and divisions, co-workers and customers, and the general public.
Work is performed under the supervision of the Mayor.
Supervisory and Management Responsibility
: The position has supervisory responsibility for the activities of the Records Clerk.
: The incumbent must follow applicable federal, state, and local laws, City and departmental policies and procedures and applicable City ordinances.
The work consists of a variety of highly administrative duties.
Scope and Effect:
The purpose of this position is to effectively and efficiently provide City Clerk duties as described in the City’s Charter, Code of Ordinances, and as provided by the Mayor and City Council.
Contacts are with the Mayor and Council, City Administrator, other City department heads, City employees, and the general public, and other Governmental entities and representatives and other external customers.
Purpose of Contacts:
Contacts are typically to give and exchange information, provide services, assist in resolving problems, and to coordinate outreach functions and events.
The work is typically performed sitting at a desk in an office environment, with a moderate level of noise. The employee uses tools or equipment requiring dexterity; must be physically able to operate a variety of automated office machines, which includes computer, printer, facsimile machine, copy machine, telephone, etc. Must be able to use body members to work, move or carry objects or materials; physical demand requirements are at levels of those for sedentary work; must be able to lift and/or carry weights of up to twenty to forty pounds.
Requires the ability to read and understand a variety of documentation, instructions, and methods and procedures; requires the ability to write memorandums and reports with proper format, punctuation, spelling and grammar, using all parts of speech; requires the ability to speak with and before others with poise, voice control, and confidence using correct English and well-modulated voice.
Requires the ability to record and deliver information, to explain procedures, and to follow verbal and written instruction.
Requires the ability to coordinate hands and eyes in using automated office equipment; to operate motor vehicles.
Requires the ability to handle a variety of items, office equipment, control knobs, switches, etc.; must have the ability to use one hand for twisting or turning motion while coordinating other hand with different activities; must have minimal levels of eye/hand/foot coordination.
Please go to our website www.fairburn.com
to apply, should you have any questions please contact Abril Montano in the HR Department 770 964-2244 x111.
Position will close on 08/16/2019