POSITION TITLE: Accounting Technician I (Utility)
FLSA STATUS: Fulltime - Non-Exempt
At Union City, we are guided by our mission and vision, to proudly promote community growth with municipal services and programs, and to make bold, visionary plans to push toward the future. We do this by having the right people in the right place and by creating a culture of service and execution. Make a difference where it counts by joining our team!
As part of our team, members benefit from alternative work schedules, in-house training programs, clearly defined career paths, on-going development opportunities, and a competitive benefits package, just to name a few.
GENERAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- To support the vision, mission and guiding principles of the City.
- While performing any procedure, all associates and contract personnel must observe applicable Safety, Health, and Environmental rules and guidelines. The use of appropriate personal protective equipment is required.
- Attend and participate in training opportunities and seminars relevant to this position.
- Adhere to appropriate City operating procedures, benefit rules, employment, and safety policies/practices.
- Extensive cash handling.
- Data Entry
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Receives, all cash receipts, records and accounts for all Utility and other collections.
- Prepares special computer generated spreadsheets;
- Secures cash drawer at end of each day;
- Provide excellent customer service, including answer question or refer customers to appropriate personnel.
- Answers and directs Utility, License, Permits, and Tax related incoming telephone calls.
- Processes cash, checks, or credit card payments for various bills, and purchases.
- Records amounts received on customer accounts and prepares reports of transactions.
- Operates cash register, balances drawer, file transactions daily.
- Provides customers with rates and charges for services
- Accepts all applications for customers and input application information into the appropriate systems.
- Processes all customer account changes, including but not limited to disconnections, and transfers.
- Perform analysis of customer accounts.
- Prepares and issues work orders.
- Setup accounts for new customer including credit check/verification.
ADDITIONAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Any other duties as assigned.
Job has recurring work situations involving moderate degrees of discretion. The need for accuracy and effective utilization of accepted programs and procedures is high. Errors in judgment and execution will waste time and resources adversely impacting unit performance. Incumbent operates independently but work is verified by supervision.
Contacts are across the entire City community and in a leadership capacity. Community contact is a critical component of success in developing good will and support of City programs and initiatives.
COMPETENCIES/SPECIFIC EXPERIENCE OR TRAINING PREFERRED:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and Experience
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Three (3) years of related office work experience.
- Two (2) years of cash handling experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of modern office practices, methods, equipment, and standard clerical procedures.
- Knowledge of basic accounting principles and practices
- Ability to quickly make accurate computations
- Ability to perform cashier duties accurately.
- Ability to handle difficult customers.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with City employees, City officials and the general public.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, orally and in writing.
- Skill in research and analytical techniques.
- Skill in managing multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to use various software packages.
- Ability to utilize computers, fax machines, copy machines, and other office equipment.
- Ability to compile, organize, prepare and maintain an assortment of records, reports and information in an effective manner and according to departmental and/or governmental regulations.
- Ability to comprehend, interpret, and apply regulations, procedures and related
information for the general public, other departments, and the business community.
- Ability to use independent judgment in routine and non-routine situations.
- Ability to plan, organize, and/or prioritize daily assignments and work activities.
- Ability to comprehend and apply the regulations and procedures of the department.
- Ability to perform multiply tasks routinely and calmly.
Equipment and Applications
- Computers and peripheral equipment
- Designated software applications
- Telephones, copiers and other office equipment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an associate to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job the associate is:
- Frequently required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk and hear.
- Occasionally required to stand; walk; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 30 pounds.
- While performing the duties of this job, the associate may be occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles and toxic or caustic chemicals.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually low.
For prompt consideration, send resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org