The leading source of local government job opportunities in Georgia.
Job Summary: This position is responsible for manual work of a routine nature as a member of a maintenance crew and involves heavy physical labor. Requires working in outside environments with noise and varying environmental conditions.
Operates front-end loader, tractor backhoe and other equipment
• Operates farm-type tractor with related equipment to perform daily grounds maintenance activities.
• Operates mowers, string trimmer, blower, edger, chain saw, and yard vacuum to perform daily grounds maintenance activities
Knowledge Required by the Position:
• Knowledge of City and departmental policies and procedures;
• Knowledge of occupational hazards, safety rules and regulations;
• Knowledge of refuse collection procedures and applicable codes pertaining to refuse collection;
• Skill in performing general equipment maintenance duties;
• Ability to interpret instructions and efficiently carry them out with minimal supervision;
• Ability to perform heavy manual labor;
• Ability to deal courteously and tactfully with residential customers and the general public;
• Ability to follow necessary safety precautions in all areas of assignment.
Supervisory Controls: The Street/Solid Waste Manager assigns work in terms of general instructions. The supervisor spot-checks work in progress and reviews completed work for the nature and propriety of the final results.
Guidelines: Guidelines include City codes, departmental and safety policies and
procedures, and supervisory instructions. These guidelines are clear and specific, but may require some interpretation in application.
Complexity: The work consists of related sanitation, refuse collection and street maintenance duties.
Scope and Effect: The purpose of this position is to maintain sanitation and refuse collection and streets, roads and drainage maintenance duties. Successful performance helps ensure timely collection of garbage, safe and clean streets and a positive public image for the City.
Personal Contacts: Contacts are typically with co-workers and customers.
Purpose of Contacts: Contacts are typically accessed to exchange information and provide services.
Physical Demands: The work is typically performed with the employee intermittently sitting, standing, walking, and bending, crouching or stooping. The employee must frequently lift light and heavy objects, climb ladders, and use tools or equipment requiring a high degree of dexterity.
Work Environment: The work is typically performed outdoors. The employee may be exposed to noise, dust, dirt, irritating chemicals, machinery with moving parts, and occasional inclement weather. This work may require the use of protective devices such as masks, goggles or gloves.
Supervisory and Management Responsibility: None.
Minimum Qualifications: High School diploma or equivalent required; valid State of Georgia Driver’s License and safe driving record; equivalent combination of education and experience. Currently hold or obtain a CDL within 12 months of employment.p >