The leading source of local government job opportunities in Georgia.
The Macon-Bibb County Planning & Zoning Commission is accepting applications for the position of Zoning Inspector. Inspectors investigate complaints and proactively inspect properties to ensure compliance with property regulations. When violations are discovered, the Zoning Inspector communicates the existence of violations to the residents, homeowners, or business owners, and when necessary, initiates enforcement actions to bring the properties into compliance with the zoning regulations. The Zoning Inspector may assist the Zoning Director with other planning and zoning responsibilities, as needed.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
· Proactively patrols the City and responds to property condition related complaints from various sources.
· Knowledge of zoning regulations for the City of Macon & Bibb County, and other property related sections of the zoning regulations. When a violation of one of these provisions is noted, it must be conveyed to the responsible party.
· Possess strong office and organizational skills to produce professional correspondence and notices of violation and ensure that detailed files are maintained.
· Communicate in verbal and written form with owners, tenants, neighbors, property managers, HOA representatives, and many others.
· Document conditions, communications, and correspondence regarding code violations so that they are admissible and favorable in a court of law. Enforcement actions range from documented verbal communication to court proceedings.
· Provide sworn testimony before court officials to obtain warrants and oversee enforcement actions through court proceedings, if necessary.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
· Ability to understand and interpret codes and ordinances.
· Ability to review plats, construction plans & site plans.
· Strong office, data entry, document production, and record keeping skills.
· · Ability to work independently and manage caseload with minimal supervision.
· Ability to communicate effectively (i.e. verbally, written form).
Minimum Education and Training
· Georgia Association of Zoning Officials / Certified Zoning Official certification preferred.
· Valid Georgia Driver’s License with good 5-year driving record.
· Any combination of education, credentials, or experience deemed equivalent to these education and experience requirements may be considered.
This position will remain open until filled.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $19.53 - $20.52 per hour