This position assists in the maintenance of county parks, sports fields, and grounds.
- Operates light and heavy machinery including commercial mowers, backhoes, tractors, weed eaters, blowers, and others.
- Assists in the application of herbicides and pesticides.
- Repairs fences, playground equipment, and sidewalks.
- Installs and maintains irrigation systems.
- Refurbishes sports fields.
- Lays sod.
- Aerates and top dresses fields.
- Removes litter and trash from parks and county buildings.
- Installs landscaping.
- Prunes trees and shrubs.
- Deliver voting booths to precinct locations.
- Raises and lowers flags at county buildings.
- Pours concrete.
- Vacuums leaves.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED BY THE POSITION
- Knowledge of grounds maintenance procedures.
- Knowledge of hand and power tools.
- Knowledge of heavy and light equipment.
- Skill in the operation of assigned vehicles, tools, and equipment.
- Skill in interpersonal relations.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
The Grounds Maintenance Crew Leader assigns work in terms of general instructions. The supervisor spot-checks completed work for compliance with procedures, accuracy, and the nature and propriety of the final results.
Guidelines include local, state, and federal laws, codes, rules, and regulations. These guidelines are generally clear and specific, but may require some interpretation in application.
COMPLEXITY/SCOPE OF WORK
- The work consists of related grounds maintenance duties. Inclement weather contributes to the complexity of the position.
- The purpose of this position is to assist in grounds maintenance duties. Success in this position contributes to a safe and well-maintained work environment for county personnel.
- Contacts are typically with co-workers and members of the general public.
- Contacts are typically to provide services and resolve problems.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/ WORK ENVIRONMENT
- The work is typically performed while sitting, standing, walking, bending, crouching, or stooping. The employee frequently lifts light and heavy objects, climbs ladders, and uses tools or equipment requiring a high degree of dexterity.
- The work is typically performed in an office, stockroom, warehouse, or outdoors. The employee is exposed to noise, dust, dirt, grease, machinery with moving parts, irritating chemicals, and occasional cold or inclement weather.
SUPERVISORY AND MANAGEMENT RESPONSIBILITY
SPECIAL CERTIFICATIONS AND LICENSES
- Possession of a valid State of Georgia driver's license (Class C) and a satisfactory Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) in compliance with County Safety and Loss Control Guidelines. Completion of the State of Georgia Department of Transportation Defensive Driving Course and/or Emergency Vehicle Operation Certification within twelve (12) months of employment.
- Fayette County is an Equal Opportunity Employer. ADA requires the County to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Prospective and current employees are invited to discuss accommodations.
- The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996, as amended, requires employees to protect the security of Protected Health Information (PHI) however it is obtained, handled, learned, heard or viewed in the course of their work.
DRUG AND ALCOHOL COMPLIANCE
- In accordance of Fayette County's Substance Abuse Policy of 1996, as amended, all job applicants offered employment will undergo testing for the presence of illegal drugs and alcohol as a condition of employment. In the course of employment, employees are subject to random, reasonable suspicion, post-accident, and routine fitness for duty testing for illegal drugs and alcohol abuse. Employees are prohibited to work under the influence, to possess, to distribute, or to sell illegal drugs in the work place or abuse alcohol on the job. Confirmed positive is reason for denial of employment and/or termination.
- Ability to read, write and perform basic mathematical calculations at a level commonly associated with the completion of high school or equivalent.
- No experience requirements.
- Possession of or ability to readily obtain a valid driver's licenses issued by the State of Georgia for the type of vehicle or equipment operated.