The leading source of local government job opportunities in Georgia.
This position is responsible for managing the human resources functions for the City of Lilburn. The ideal candidate would be an individual who has previously worked as a Senior Generalist in various areas of Human Resources for a local government organization. This position reports directly to the Assistant City Manager.
Duties include, but are not limited to the following:
1. Manage employee benefits programs which include medical, dental, vision, life, short- and long-term
disability, and other voluntary benefit plans. Works closely with third-party administrators; assists employee
with benefit enrollment and resolving claims issues. Completes monthly benefits billings; coordinates annual
2. Manage employee enrollment and participation in the city pension plan and deferred compensation plans.
Completes bi-weekly upload of contributions to the retirement system.
3. Manage the city’s workers’ compensation plan; processes claims; resolves issues; assists with annual audit.
4. Manage Family Medical Leave (FMLA) requirements for employees. Tracks hours.
5. Ensure compliance with federal and state employment laws, i.e., FLSA, FMLA, ADA, ADEA, COBRA, etc.
Stay abreast of changes to various laws and requirements.
6. Work with departments in recruitment, interviewing, and retention of employees.
7. Conduct new hire orientation.
8. Prepare the operating budget for the Human Resources Department.
9. Prepare salary projections for all departments during the annual budget process.
10. Administer the employee personnel policies and procedures; recommends changes as needed.
11. Present agenda items relating to human resources functions to the Mayor and Council for review/approval
12. Work with department heads, supervisors, and employees in addressing employee relation issues and
concerns; oversees corrective actions; ensures actions are in compliance with city policies.
13. Conduct annual training on topics such as Unlawful Harassment Prevention; investigates employee claims
of discrimination or harassment.
14. Handle EEOC complaints; prepares position statements; attends hearings with EEOC as required.
15. Handle unemployment claims: participates in hearings as needed.
16. Administer the city’s performance evaluation system; assists departments in creating performance
improvement plans when necessary. Implement pay for performance increases for employees if approved
in the annual budget process.
17. Maintain the official personnel files for all employees.
18. Assists the Police Department with promotional process; verifies scoring of promotional process
components; maintains promotional eligibility lists.
19. Coordinate random drug and alcohol testing program for covered employees and pre-employment testing.
20. Administers the city’s wellness program.
21. Manages Employee Service Awards Program.
22. Oversees the city’s salary administration program. Makes recommendations for structure adjustments
based upon CPI and ECI data. Implements pay structure changes and employee pay rate changes.
23. Manages the job classification system. Prepares job descriptions; determines appropriate pay grade based
upon market data and internal equity. Conducts salary surveys as directed.
24. Assists with the bi-weekly payroll process. Implements all pay rate changes, personnel actions, benefit
deductions and monthly leave accrual. Answers questions regarding time sheet entries and overtime.
25. Manages employee vacation and sick leave accrual program.
26. Performs other duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree in Public or Personnel Administration or related field. Ten (10) years of progressively responsible experience in human resources, preferably in a local government setting including experience working with law enforcement departments. Proficient use of Microsoft Office Products and HR/Payroll systems, or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience sufficient to perform the essential duties of this position.
PHR, SPHR, or IPMA-CP certification preferred.
Interested applicants may download an employment application from our website at www.cityoflilburn.com.
Return completed applications to:
Assistant City Manager
City of Lilburn
340 Main Street
Lilburn, Georgia 30047
Closing Date for accepting applications is until filled.
The City of Lilburn is an Equal Opportunity Employer.