The leading source of local government job opportunities in Georgia.
CITY OF DACULA
Locate and assess property for appropriate taxes and maintain database of associated information. Update information regularly in order to produce accurate tax bills, annually. Collect real estate taxes, yearly sanitation charges and issue receipts. Assist the public and others by answering questions, calculating taxes, providing ownership data, making copies and updating records to include address changes, exemptions, or other information. File documents in accordance with established procedures. Account for and properly document all funds collected.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
• Class land and improvement properly, and enter current use information to assure correct tax bills.
• Sign-up taxpayers and enter information into computer system regarding homestead exemption and current use.
• Balance cash drawers daily so that cash and checks balance with teller report.
• Calculate tax bills for taxpayers, mortgage companies, attorneys, etc. including prorated bills.
• Check to assure that taxpayer has paid for all parcels, as needed.
• Greet customers in person or via telephone, answer questions and provide information as needed.
• Verify address of property owners in order to assure that notices are sent to correct location.
• Read notices from the State Department of Revenue in order to stay abreast of procedures and changes in law. Also, attend annual seminars in tax regulations.
• Perform property site inspections to determine value of delinquent business inventory and equipment; seize property for sale.
• Post tax sale levy notices on real property.
• Set up, maintain, and troubleshoot minor problems related to desktop computer equipment; set up users for connection to property tax system; train users on software applications.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
• Knowledge of State laws and regulations governing property taxes.
• Ability to comprehend and apply tax rules, regulations and collection procedures.
• Ability to make mathematical calculations with speed and accuracy.
• Ability to use spreadsheet software to analyze and track data.
• Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing.
• Ability to read road maps and follow directions.
• Ability to make decisions in accordance with precedents and regulations and apply them to the work situation.
ADA MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
Physical Ability: Essential functions of this position continuously require the ability to remain in a stationary position (sitting or standing); operate a computer and other office machinery, such as a calculator, copier, and printer. Incumbents must continuously be able to think analytically; handle stress and emotion, concentrate on tasks, remember names and other details; examine and observe details; make decisions, and adjust to change. Incumbents must also continuously direct others; meet deadlines; stay organized; use math/calculations and use a keyboard/type. Essential functions frequently require the ability to move about inside the office; and move/transport items up to 10lbs.
Essential functions occasionally require the ability to bend body downward and forward by bending spine and legs, and twisting at the waist, hips or knees; reach overhead; push or pull; and repetitively use hands/arms/legs. Incumbents in this position are occasionally required to be on-call and work irregular hours.
Sensory Requirements: Essential functions regularly require the ability to use effective verbal and written communication; and use of hand/eye coordination and fine manipulation to use equipment.
Environmental Factors: Essential functions of this position continuously require the ability to either work with others or work alone.
• Graduation from a senior high school or GED certificate.
• Ability to enter, retrieve and update information using a computer.
• Three years bookkeeping and/or Tax Collection experience
• Two years customer service experience.
• Or an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job such as those listed above.
$34,070.40 ($16.38/hr) to $42,000/yearly ($20.20/hourly) DOQ
This job description indicates in general the nature and levels of work, knowledge, skills, abilities and other essential functions (as covered under the ADA) expected of an incumbent. It is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities duties or responsibilities required of an incumbent. An incumbent may be asked to perform other duties as required. This job description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions and position responsibilities. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s rights to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. Incumbent must be able to perform the essential functions of this position with or without reasonable accommodation.