This position performs a variety of routine administrative, technical, and professional work in supporting the various components of the employee benefits program for the Augusta, Georgia government. Assists in the coordination and administration of employee benefits program within the guidelines of local, federal, and state laws and departmental policies and procedures. Reports to the Benefits Manager or other designated personnel and works with co-workers, directors, supervisors, employees, attorneys, medical professionals, judges, consultants and the public to support Augusta’s benefit programs.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responsible for planning, analysis, implementation, communication, and administration of the Augusta’s benefit plans, including medical, dental, vision, EAP, COBRA, FSAs (medical / dependent care), life insurance, AD&D, disability insurance (long- and short-term), defined pension plans, and deferred compensation 457 plans. Ensures compliance with HIPAA and Affordable Care Act.
- Advises employees, retirees, and dependents regarding Augusta’s benefit program. Assists employees with life event changes, annual open enrollment, and retiree annual open enrollment. Makes benefit changes in benefits portal and in other benefit related software.
- Works with benefit consultants, plan administrators, and providers to resolve any ongoing insurance claims issues.
- Conducts presentations on employee benefits during new hire orientation. Assists new hires, employees and retirees with completing various benefit forms.
- Conducts benefit related exit interviews and submits appropriate paperwork to complete the termination process for former employees. Add and/or cancel gym memberships and new deferred compensation 457 plan enrollments.
- Verifies benefit amounts due on invoices and presents to management for approval. .Reconciles insurance benefits and monthly gym membership attendance roster for payroll to process proper reimbursement.
POSITION SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES MIGHT INCLUDE:
- Provides back up support to the other Benefit Analysts and the Benefits Team Lead.
- Assists in the coordination and administration of the employee benefits program within the guidelines of local, federal, and state laws and departmental policies and procedures.
Education: Bachelor's Degree, Associate's Degree, or High School Diploma based on experience.
Experience: Two (2) years with Bachelor’s Degree, four (4) years with Associate’s Degree, or six (6) years with High School Diploma of job-related experience in employee benefits administration.
- Position requires extensive knowledge of federal laws dealing with employee benefits, including IRS and HIPAA regulations, state and FMLA.
- Considerable knowledge of personnel policies and procedures, payroll systems, and benefits and insurance terminology.
- Proficiency in organization, management, investigating claims, data collection, and recording and transcribing information.
- Proficiency in interpreting plan documents, preparing data for oral presentations, and interpersonal relations.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently.