Request for Proposal for City Attorney
City of Washington, GA
The City of Washington, GA is requesting proposals for City Attorney. The City Attorney is nominated and appointed annually by the Mayor and City Council and serves at the pleasure of the Mayor and City Council. The City Attorney is not a city employee and is not a full-time position; it is a contracted professional service. The appointment will be effective approximately February 1, 2022 and will be for a minimum 12-month term.
Please provide an employment history (past 10 years) for the individual to be designated City Attorney as well as for any individual who may provide the City with supplemental legal services. In addition, please include the following:
- Attorney’s name
- Name, address of firm and phone number
- Length of employment in present capacity
- Area of specialization
Please describe the qualifications for the individual to be designated as City Attorney and those of any associated party(s) who will be used in a subordinate capacity. At a minimum this information should include:
- Legal education and training and type and years of practice to include the date of admission to the Georgia Bar;
- Years of municipal or other local public sector law practice as a full-time, contracted or part-time local government attorney and/or private law practice with specialization in local government law;
- General description of tasks associated with past practice as a local government attorney;
- A statement of types of clients currently or previously represented other than local government clients; and
- General description of experience in litigation representing local government including types or categories of cases litigated;
It is expected by the City that services provided will include at a minimum the following:
- Routine legal advice channeled through the City Administrator and issuance of opinions, advice, and consultation to designated staff and the Mayor and Council on issues such as land use, general municipal law, civil and criminal enforcement, tort liability, personnel law, and risk management;
- Preparation and review of existing and proposed ordinances, resolutions, agreements, contracts and related documents;
- Attendance at all City Council Meetings and Special Called Meetings (as required).
- Attendance at Planning Commission Meetings, Board of Zoning Appeals Meetings and any other meeting as necessary and required.
Please define the type and unit rate for expected reimbursement of expenses charged to the City. For example, outline charges for services, rate of mileage fee for use of automobile, reproduction of documents, computer or word processing charges, Westlaw and other legal services, court reporter fees, etc.
Please describe how you would provide for professional liability insurance.
Please provide a list of all public clients for which the firm currently provides services.
Evaluation and Selection Process
- To be considered, proposals must be submitted by 5:00 PM on December 15, 2021.
- Proposals should be submitted in a sealed envelope marked, “City Attorney Proposal”, and addressed or delivered to City of Washington, Attn: City Administrator, 102 East Liberty Street, Washington, GA 30673.
- Preference will be given to candidates with specific overall local government experience of the individual providing City Attorney services and associated individuals, as well as factors such as total projected cost of service, accessibility to the City, immediacy of availability and responsiveness to the Request for Proposals.
Questions? Contact the City Administrator at 706-678-3277 or email@example.com.