The leading source of local government job opportunities in Georgia.
State of Georgia
This posting is for a law clerk in the Enotah Judicial Circuit which includes Towns, Union, Lumpkin, and White counties in the North Georgia Mountains. This position will be open until filled.
Nature of Work
The law assistant assists the judge in performing various legal work which involves research and legal writing. In addition, the law assistant performs other related work as assigned by the judge. The law assistant’s work is reviewed by the judge to ensure adequacy and correctness. The law assistant basically works from 8:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, or as otherwise defined by the chief judge but no less than 40 hours per week. State-paid law clerks are not permitted to engage in secondary employment law practices.
Minimal travel within and outside the circuit.
• Performs legal research and analysis.
• Prepares legal memorandums, briefs, pleadings, and related documents, and reviews and
discusses points of law with judges and attorneys.
• At the judge’s request, tests theories presented by attorneys and reviews law on specific subjects.
• Attends, at the judge’s request, court activities, consulting with the assigned judge and other judges and attorneys.
Knowledge, Abilities, and Skills
• Thorough and sound knowledge of law and research procedures.
• Basic knowledge of the criminal justice system, especially the court system.
• Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
• Ability to apply sound research concepts.
• Ability to research, analyze, and digest legal facts and precedents.
• Ability to comprehend and follow oral and written instructions.
• Ability to establish and maintain loyal, trusting relationships with associates, superiors, and subordinates.
• Ability to recognize the inherent need for confidentiality.
• Graduation from an accredited law school.
• No experience required.
Must be able to operate a variety of automated office equipment such as computers, printers, fax machines, and telephones. Physical demands are the same as those for sedentary work.
·Cover Letter (Required)
·Writing Sample, Max 10 pages (Required)
Please contact Monica P. Baron via email or phone with inquiries. At firstname.lastname@example.org or (706) 439-6100.